Quarts of Chaos and Ancient Mysteries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
Yesterday, Tom (the pizza guy) and I brewed up the two cans of old "Spring Mountain" pre-hopped extract (one light, one dark). Since it was six years old :eek: , we steeped 8 oz. of chocolate and 8 oz. of Victory @ 150F first to freshen it up. We then stirred in the two cans of extract and brought it to a boil. 1 oz. of Fuggles for 30 minutes, 1 oz. for 15 minutes.

A new packet of Noghttingham.

22L @ OG 1.048 We added too much makeup water, as I had forgotted Tom's fermenter was marked in liters not quarts.

Bittering? Who knows. The extracts had both hop extract and hop pellets in them.

Dark, bitter, roasty.
Call it a stout.

I'm off to see if it's working yet and have some pizza.

Too dark, too hoppy? Let it bottle condition longer. Every batch I've made got better with a few weeks of aging, but by then I was down to the last bottle. I have to make it more frequently, so I have some aging in the cellar.

Hard to bottle condition something that's been in the fermenter for four days.

david_42 said:
Yesterday, Tom (the pizza guy) and I brewed up the two cans of old "Spring Mountain" pre-hopped extract (one light, one dark). Since it was six years old :eek:

You're a brave man...leaving your brew equipment to anyone in your will?! Haha, j/k.

Back