Bayou Classic with Induction?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belmontbrew

Reaction score
Is anyone using a Bayou Classic 1036/1136 (36qt stainless pot) with an induction cooker? Does it seem to work?

I'm thinking about picking up an 1136, the Max Burton 6000 1800w induction cooktop, and going for a semi-BIAB. I'd do a 1.5qt/lb mash in the big pot, heat up sparge water on my stove, sparge into pot and then boil.

Bumping this after an induction search.

I've been using a 3500 watt conventional hot plate. Works, but the plate it self is thick and slow to heat and cool. I have to remove the pot from the plate at the end of the boil or it will continue boiling for quite a while. Also, I chill with an IC, so the heat retained by the plate makes it necessary to get it off ASAP. It's not too big a problem for 5 gallon batches, but difficult with an 11 gallon boil.

I'm hoping that a 3500 watt induction plate will eliminate this problem. I have a 62 quart Bayou pot that is magnetic. What I'm wondering is how the non-clad, relatively thin base will effect efficiency? From what I’ve read, the induction plate heats the metal which then heats the contents and that a thinner material will heat faster. What I haven’t found is if a thicker base will actually help in bringing a relatively thin liquid like wort to a boil faster? I’m sure that a thicker or clad base would spread out the heat and help prevent scorching of thick sauces, but will it effect actual boil time?

Induction is the effect of a changing magnetic field causing electric "eddy" currents in a metal, which then causes the metal to heat up. Depending on how strong the magnetic field is, it seems like there would be a magnetic field beyond the boundary of the metal, so that portion of the magnetic field would not cause eddy currents, therefore not increasing the heat flow. So I would guess that a thicker pot, if that extra thickness is a metal affected by induction, would be a more efficient use of the magnetic output of the induction burner, and heat up faster.

Or I could be totally wrong, talking out my @$$.

Actually, with induction, thinner is better. You need a metal that is both magnetically susceptible, AND has enough resistivity to convert the induced electrical current into heat.

AnOldUR: what's the model number for your 62 quart pot? I called Bayou Classic and talked to someone who was very friendly, but had no idea which pots were magnetic and which weren't.

Interesting read. Thanks belmontbrew. It looks like in a 400 series stainless, all the heating action is taking place in the .007" skin depth of the material and that the heat will transfer to the liquid so thickness is not important as long as scorching is not an issue.

My pot is the Bayou Classic 1060. I got a reply from an email to Bayou that said, "The distributor tells me that they are 304 stainless but will not work on an induction stove."

I know that a magnet is strongly attracted to my pot, so it can't be 304ss.

From Wikipedia

Stainless steel pans will often work on an induction hob provided the sole of the pan is a grade of stainless steel that is magnetic. If a magnet sticks well to the sole of the pan, it will work on an induction hob.

SS can be magnetic - when it is, it just means that no nickel has been added to strenghten the metal. At least that's what I remember reading a while back when I discovered my Bayou Classic would attract a magnet :)

I bought this in Amazon for $75 and had to return it. I does not even heat up the entire bottom, literally a little portion of the bottom.

I you making tea this is great but not for beer.

At least that's what I remember reading a while back when I discovered my Bayou Classic would attract a magnet :)
Ha! I had the same experience. Got a bit worried when I got my Bayou pot and discovered it was magnetic. From what I've found, Bayou is only acting as a distributor and really have no idea what they’re talking about. It would be interesting to find out what the actual grade of stainless is, but I haven't had any luck getting that information.

When I bought the pot, induction heating was not something that I'd considered or knew anything about. Lucky that it turned out to be magnetic. I'm surprised that induction isn't discussed more on HBT. Works great!

Bayou Classic states that all of their stainless kettles are 304 stainless. 304 stainless is an Austinitic microstructure and is not generally magnetic. However, during deep drawing and grinding operations this alloy can undergo a microstructural change to a Martinsitic lattice, similar to some 400 series stainless steels. This probably accounts for the magnetic properties of the Bayou Classic kettles. Before buying however you might want to check the kettle with a magnet if you are planning on using an induction cooktop. You can always use an induction disk if you have non-compatible cookware. My favorite kettle is the Megapot 1.2 from Northern Brewer which has an aluminum clad bottom which results in improved distribution of heat across the bottom of the kettle. This pot uses 400 series stainless steel which has good magnetic permeability characteristics. This also has the 1.2 ratio of height to diameter similar to the Blichmann which gives you improved efficiency for brewing. Many of the Bayou classic pots also have this 1.2 ratio. Great article by the way in the March/April edition of BYO magazine about induction brewing.

Zombie thread pickup here.. But did anyone make any heads or tales out of this?

I've got a Bayou Classic kettle and I'd like to look into an induction plate instead of propane - just to keep the condo association happy.

I'm interested in seeing if any of the cooktops that will work on a 110/15A circuit will allow me to boil enough wort (7-8 gallons) to end up with a 5 gallon batch?

DonnieZ, I am in the exact same situation as you - same pot, same voltage limitations and batch size. Did you ever learn of a cooktop that works?

I purchased 4 15 gal bayou kettles with the thick bottom and all were magnetic and all had a rust line or pits where the weld was. Still waiting for my money from Bayou Classic. They even cherry picked one from the warehouse and that one was bad also. The dude at Brew and Grow in Waukeshaw, Wi. said they aren't 304 and that's why they rust. We put a stir bar on his kettle, it stuck and is now making great beer (10 gal batches)on the 3500w induction cook top.

Back