Brewery names--what's your story?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Five Mile Brewing Company

I grew up next to "Five Mile Woods" and had my first beer there while camping and have very fond memories of drinking beers there on subsequent camping nights.

I've got Copperpot's. Yep, as in Chester Copperpot. Paying a little homage to the greatest 80's kids movie Of all time, The Goonies. Doubles as the brewery and the 10 person bar with 2 tap towers I built.

DiscoHair Brewery

My brother and I used to live together and he had this border collie named Disco that shed like crazy. Everything we ate and drank had a Disco hair in it

So with no exception, we found a Disco hair or two in each of our batches!!!

Nothing too bad ever came out of it so we decided to call our little brewery DiscoHair Brewery.

Mine's an idea behind the brewery - good quality beer and wine for as cheap as possible. For that reason I came up with the idea of a man born into nobility, then losing all of his money, living homeless, but still believing he's a rich man and having the same taste as one. I call it "Homeless Nobleman's."

"Tim's Closet Brewery" just stuck over the years. Its name is derived from the location in the house where my beer ferments. ;-)

Over the years the "in the closet" jokes have dwindled as I have made an effort to "brand" my "company" with a nice logo, clever slogans, and the acronym TCB substituted for the full name. Oh yeah, I make good beer too.

If I ever went big with my brewing, I would always make sure to slip "TCB" somewhere into the fine print just so that I would remember where I came from and to see how many friends would catch the joke.

well my name doesnt really have that cool of a story behind it other than, its always me, my brother and my father brewing together, so as usual stories,talking, and beer are involved. so with that combo their is always a lot of laughing going on. still working on a label but thinking old school looking three stoogies photo, black and white with our three heads kinda skewed.. well thats my story. oh yea the whole reason for writing this.. "Three Laughing Heads Brewery" and the brew pub would be named after that also..

That's funny about the Stooges, I used Larry on my Ginger Ale

Old Porcupine Ginger Ale

180850_10150090376099760_520264759_6418096_4023874_n.jpg

It's a Blenheim type spicy golden ginger ale.

Inferno Brewing

Partially because my house burnt partially down a couple years back.

Partially because after my buddy got toasted at my house he said the next day he felt he like went to hell and back.

inferno brewing flips.jpg

fezzersc said:
That's funny about the Stooges, I used Larry on my Ginger Ale

Old Porcupine Ginger Ale

It's a Blenheim type spicy golden ginger ale.

Thats pretty wild. I just feel it fits. Did some bottling on saturday ans something that should take an hour lasted 7. But whos watching time really

I have been brewing for awhile. Only recently have I thought about eventually opening a brew pub. So I thought of a name for my brewery.

Fallen Angel Brewery
"The Devil Is In The Details"

What do you think?

I have been brewing for awhile. Only recently have I thought about eventually opening a brew pub. So I thought of a name for my brewery.

Fallen Angel Brewery
"The Devil Is In The Details"

"Fallen Angel Brewery" reminds me more of a biker gang than a brew pub. I did a quick search and found that there is a microbrewery in the UK that is already using that name. So, as a marketing professional, I wouldn't use it; even if they are across the pond.
I like the slogan though. I definitely think you can play off of it for your brewery name, like Brucifer.

I always enjoyed Steve Jackson's Illuminati game and became an instant fan of Robert Wilson when I read the Illuminatus Trilogy. Then I sought out and quite enjoyed Principia Discordia. It fits with my strange view of the world, plus gives me a lot of material to search out names and I'm far better at making a drink that fits a name than I am at coming up with a name that fits a brew.

I plan to have a collection of neck labels randomly attached to my bottles, here's a few.
necklabels.jpg

I'm trying to think of more mgt. phrases to have a larger variety of neck labels.

All I've got bottled so far is a batch of JAOM and a batch of English brown ale, with an English pale ale and a couple other meads fermenting.

Planned brews idea, though they still need recipes:
Lord Ravenhurst Porter (maybe Lord Ravenhurst blonde ale would be more discordian)
OM IPA
The Law of Fives (five hop varieties, five hop additions, 5% abv, either 23 or 5 srm, carry around in five packs)
SMaSH the T.S.O.G./Fall of the T.S.O.G. (Two-row, Simcoe, Orange peel, Ginger, though I don't know if I could call it a SMaSH or not with the extra flavors)

I think my names are relatively easy to search out for people to whom they aren't familiar.

I googled the name and didnt find that brewery. Thanks for the info.

Maybe "Dantes' Inferno Winghouse and Brewpub"? The Devils in the details?

Here's the link I found: http://www.fallenangelbrewery.com/

I didn't find much for Dante's Inferno; you're really going for the Devil theme! But it could work well with the hot wings business. A slogan like "Fiery Wings From Hell, Beer from Heaven" could work or "Wings like Hell's Fire, Beer like Angel's Wings".

After trying to be clever and come up with something I decided that I just don't give ****. That's why I ended up with Apathetic Brewing Co.

I call mine "White Cougar Brewery" after my late father's old CB handle from the 70's. I even use a PS'ed pic of a cougar on the label that I made to look like an albino sort of thing.

After toying around with different brewery names that were references to the founders of both my hs (Samuel Phillips) and undergrad (Cornelius Vanderbilt), I decided on the Opus Brewery, because I am a musician (conductor, composer, classical singer, pianist, organist...the list goes on) and ever since my third batch I have been insistent on doing recipes that are at least somewhat original...opuses of my own you might say. I am starting to refer to my specialty beers as my "Rebel Opus" beers.

My late father was known affectionately as the "Old Buffalo" There's another story behind it. In any case, I decided to use "The Old Buffalo Brewing Company". He also liked good beer.

We call ourselves "S&M Brewing"

Last names of myself, and the co-brewer begin with M, and S respectively.

We further the theme with our brew names..
Smokin' Redhead
Safeword IPA
Black Leather stout
Strap-on Blonde

After toying around with different brewery names that were references to the founders of both my hs (Samuel Phillips) and undergrad (Cornelius Vanderbilt), I decided on the Opus Brewery, because I am a musician (conductor, composer, classical singer, pianist, organist...the list goes on) and ever since my third batch I have been insistent on doing recipes that are at least somewhat original...opuses of my own you might say. I am starting to refer to my specialty beers as my "Rebel Opus" beers.

After reading this one,it made me think of the comic strip in the paper "Opus & Bill". Opus being this wise penguin with tighty whities,& bill the cat that looks a lil too fried on speeders. Maybe make some kind of humorous label? No offense meant,but it would be cool in a comedic sort of way...

mendnwngs said:
We call ourselves "S&M Brewing"

Last names of myself, and the co-brewer begin with M, and S respectively.

We further the theme with our brew names..
Smokin' Redhead
Safeword IPA
Black Leather stout
Strap-on Blonde

Safeword IPA - I love it! Great name!

Mine is Tchuklobrau. In german Gypsy speak it means dog brew. Chose it to get a laugh out of my grandfatherinlaw who is a German Gypsy.

Actually, I have dogs...but the "brewery" is not named after them. It's named after the resident varmint sort of....the wife's "dog." The Pom's name is Jigsaw, aftet the way it ran as a pup. the name is an abomination..
2756-brewlabel.jpg

Brews are Pompous Ass Ale....Stone Arrogant Bastard knockoff/specialty ale
Gone Pom Blonde .....
Marsh Hound Porter
Blue EyePA.....a real dog is an Aussie
TiNGLER...an american amber
more to come

Dougal & Sons. I'm Dougal and they're my minions, as in "Son One, lift the fermenter up onto the shelf. Son Two, wash that bucket." They're good lads.

Deep Six Brewing Co.

We sort of went serious with our name, just in case we ever make it big time - heh. Plus its just sounds damn cool (to me anyway).

***EDIT*** - Wanted to update this post with a copy of our new brewery logo.

4141-d6onbottle.jpg

i like your logo

I had trouble coming up/ settling on a name.

First, I used to live near a creek known as Salt Creek; so Salt Creek Brewery (kinda partial to this one). I thought for a label of a drawn image of a creek in the woods with a salt shaker pouring salt into it. Not really artistically inclined so I'll have to have someone help.

I'm a pilot so I thought of mixing the two worlds. I thought of Flight Line Brewery or some such thing. And no I don't mix flying and beer drinking.

And finally my father and grandfather is/were farmers so maybe mixing that in there. Not sure of a brewery name but I gotta beer name, "Gettin' Plowed Wit."

I'm also at least 50% German descendant so a German name would great too.
Thanks for any and all suggestions or ideas for names or labels, even the bad ones. A bad one could spawn an idea for a good one. So, thanks again. :mug:

My name is Todd so my nickname has been toad since I was 5 and I can't see all that great so I thought blind toad brewing co. would be perfect.

First post. Heyooooooo

My late grandfather bought a watch at a department store, and like most watches, it was pre programmed with an alarm. He used to talk about how his was set to ring every day at 3:36. He started out irritated with the alarm, but he didn't know how to turn it off. Eventually, he turned the alarm into his reminder to drink his beer. Every day, no matter what he was caught up in, at 3:36 he would go inside and drink his beer.

It's like tea time, but glorious.

That's why I settled on 336 Brewing Co, Salem, OR

My late grandfather bought a watch at a department store, and like most watches, it was pre programmed with an alarm. He used to talk about how his was set to ring every day at 3:36. He started out irritated with the alarm, but he didn't know how to turn it off. Eventually, he turned the alarm into his reminder to drink his beer. Every day, no matter what he was caught up in, at 3:36 he would go inside and drink his beer.

That's a fantastic story!

I'm Norwegian, and named my brewery "Skyggebryggeriet" (which means "The Shadow Brewery") which looks and sounds cool and has a nice rhyming ring to it, plus it makes me think of darkness and lurking around in the shadows...
smiley_ninja.gif

Back