San Star Question....am I sanitizing wrong???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogFace_Brewing

Reaction score
OK so I am new at all this so let me just ask one quick question.

I have been reading about sanitization for a little bit and just realized that I might be either using the wrong sanitizer or doing it wrong. Here is the San Star I am using.

sanstar.jpg

I am sanitizing my equipment in a mixture of San Star and water for 5-10 minutes then rinsing off before use. For my bottles I made a mixture in a squeeze bottle and spray each one on the inside individually then i rinse them off.

My question is this. With the San Star pictured should I NOT be rinsing of the bubbles and residue before using my equipment or bottles? I worried about it since it has a poison warning on the back so I thought I should be rinsing!

Thanks guys!!

i usually use the dry salt sanatizer and according to Northern Brewer, the equipment does not need to be rinsed after soaking. I would assume it is the same for liquid star san.

Nope, no need to rinse. Don't fear the foam :)

I am assuming that I don't need to "Fear the foam" as long as I am using the correct water/sanitizer mixture right? I am now assuming the poison label is only for if someone would consume the sanitizer straight form the bottle right?

You are correct, as long as you follow the proper dilution procedure there is no need to worry about the risk of poison. I believe the dilution i use i 1.25 gallons for every quarter of an oz of starsan or 5 gals for 1 oz starsan. Don't be afraid to mix up a 5 gal batch, it keeps for a long time and it never hurts to take some off into spray bottles to keep in a pinch.

You are correct, as long as you follow the proper dilution procedure there is no need to worry about the risk of poison. I believe the dilution i use i 1.25 gallons for every quarter of an oz of starsan or 5 gals for 1 oz starsan. Don't be afraid to mix up a 5 gal batch, it keeps for a long time and it never hurts to take some off into spray bottles to keep in a pinch.

Awesome, thanks for the help!! I just knocked off about 30 minutes of work for not having to rinse out each bottle one by one :rockin: Thanks!!!!

+1. Don't rinse any of the items. Leave them covered in foam. The resultant concentration within your beer is far below the level that will cause any harm.

Awesome, thanks for the help!! I just knocked off about 30 minutes of work for not having to rinse out each bottle one by one :rockin: Thanks!!!!

Wanna save even more time get a bottle tree and a Vinator. I got both for under $40 (shipping additional of course):

Rev.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am assuming that I don't need to "Fear the foam" as long as I am using the correct water/sanitizer mixture right? I am now assuming the poison label is only for if someone would consume the sanitizer straight form the bottle right?

I've had some interesting experiences with Star San so far. For the record, the concentrated form (what's in the bottle) will eat through coloring and paint. It's very caustic. I used my wife's Pampered Chef measuring cup, and now we have no numbers or lettering on the sides :-\

It's 1 liquid oz to 5 gallons. I usually pour the 1 liquid ounce in to my bottling bucket or carboy first, and let it sit (it only needs 30 seconds), and then stick the rest of my equiment in the bucket. If you're going to be brewing your first batch, what I do is fill my carboy with it first, then dump that amount into my bottling bucket (where I store my equipment) and soak my brewing equipment.

I then pour most of that off, reserving some for my spray bottle, and enough to sanitize equipment if I need to.

I rack right underneath the foam, or pour right onto it. There are no off flavors at all!

the Vinator works awesome. I just buy one gallon of distilled water and use a 5-6 cc syringe and dilute 6 cc of starsan in one gallon of distilled water. Will last you a long time. You don't want to use water with a lot of mineral content. It will shorten the life of your starsan

use the measuring device built into the bottle and pour into water, then you wont ruin any other measuring devices

I've been doing it that way for a long time and it seems to work for me. You just have to make sure you tighten the cap after your done. You can loosen the measuring side instead. That'll work too.. There are generally more than one way to accomplish the same thing..

I have the vitinator as well, and the 90 bottle tree (overkill). Both are very well made and worth the $.

Thank you all for your input. I've had a few infections with some bottles and trying to figure out why. Maybe not cleaning enough before sanitizing and something is getting stuck up inside somewhere....

I have the vitinator as well, and the 90 bottle tree (overkill). Both are very well made and worth the $.

What is a Vitinator? I googled it and couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

Thank you all for your input. I've had a few infections with some bottles and trying to figure out why. Maybe not cleaning enough before sanitizing and something is getting stuck up inside somewhere....

What is a Vitinator? I googled it and couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

Be sure you clean your bottles as soon as you empty them. It's easier to prevent bacteria growth than to get rid or it after the fact. Here is my bottle process; I have not yet had an infected bottle;

1. empty bottle
2. pour about 4 tbsp water into the bottle
3. cover with your thumb and shake
4. pour out yeast, repeat 2,3
5. place in dishwasher upside down for several hours
6. place in refirgerator until 6 pack is full, of emptys
7. store in a cool dry place covered to exclude dust.
8. Day before brew day: fill dishwasher with bottles upside down. Run dishwasher on sanitize setting with dryer on, no soap and no jet dry
9. Brew day: vintinator 2 squirts into each bottle.
10. Fill, cap condition
11. Go back to step 1.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/vinator-bottle-rinser.html

I'm glad this thread is out here because I have a simple question that I don't seem to be able to find an answer for...yet!

How long does the Star San solution need to be in contact with a surface in order to sanitize? i.e. if I spray a bottle, do I need to let it dry completely before using, thus giving Star San time to work OR could I fairly quickly fill that bottle, assuming the excess Star San has been shaken out

Thanks

I'm glad this thread is out here because I have a simple question that I don't seem to be able to find an answer for...yet!

How long does the Star San solution need to be in contact with a surface in order to sanitize? i.e. if I spray a bottle, do I need to let it dry completely before using, thus giving Star San time to work OR could I fairly quickly fill that bottle, assuming the excess Star San has been shaken out

Thanks

I recall Charlie Talley saying in an interview that 30 seconds was adequate.

Back