friend's 21st

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinga

Reaction score
So my friends 21st is rolling around soon and our group has never really been about the getting smashed and drinking a ton so i'm thinking for his 21st we're just going to get a collection of nicer beers and just have a large taste testing all day. we're up in duluth mn and i'm looking for recommendations of what beers we should get. i realize not all stores will have all the types mentioned but a list of potential candidates would be a lot of help.

What styles do you like? That might help narrow it down.

I'm a huge fan of Belgian beers. Rochefort 10, Westvleteren 12, Chimay Blue, Duvel, Delirium Tremens, Unibroue (La Maudite, La Fin Du Monde, La Terrible, Trois Pistoles, Don de Dieu), Ommegang(Rare Vos & Three Philosophers), Victory (V-Twelve), Weyerbacher ("Quad").

If you look through the BJCP style guidlines, there are lists of commercial representatives of each style at the bottom. You can look through the styles, see which you think he'd be into, then look through the list of commercial examples, and head to your nearest bottles shop.

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/

Some of my other favorites breweries/beers are Troegs(Nugget Nectar), Victory(anything), Great Lakes(anything), Belhaven(St. Andrews Scottish Ale), Samuel Smith. You can take a look at beeradvocate.com, though I’d suggest looking through the notes instead of just going by the rating numbers. It seems there are a thousands of people who jack up the scores for Russian Imperial Stouts.

I would say it would depend on what you haven't tried. I would do a wide variety if I was to go back to my 21st. On my 21st we went to bars and I was forced to drink everything everyone bought.
I say go for something you have never had.... or heard of. A total wine or bevmo will have a wide variety (if they have it in your area)
My recommendations:
1. Do a hefeweizen . I like warsteiner hefe... it is the bomb.
2. Do an import lager (even though it is kinda boring)
3. Do a nice thick Imperial Pale Ale or India Pale Ale (stone or dogfish head products are great if you haven't em)
4. A Belgian is of course listed . One of my favorites is Delirium Tremens
5. A good stout is in order. And don't do Guiness
6. Dunkelweizen (dark wheat beer... again I am partial to warsteiner)
7. Do a red ale. Chimay will give you a nice kick in the pants.

There are soo many to choose from. If there isn't a wine/keg/beer beverage company in your area, your selection will be very limited to lager after lager. Just experiment. The Belgians will F*CK YOU UP due to high alcohol content. So if you are drinking in excess be careful with those. They will creep up on you and give you a nasty hangover in the am. But they are soooooooo tasty.

Back