New IPA Recipe. I Need Some Feedback.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I've posted this recipe before. Got no responses. Adjusted it a little bit. Tonight, the wife is studying for her licensing exam, so I'm brewing. If anyone has any feedback, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Cinnamon-Basil IPA 2007

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

14-B India Pale Ale, American IPA

Min OG: 1.056 Max OG: 1.075
Min IBU: 40 Max IBU: 72
Min Clr: 6 Max Clr: 15 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.00
Anticipated OG: 1.070 Plato: 17.08
Anticipated SRM: 11.9
Anticipated IBU: 67.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.47 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.060 SG 14.64 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Tinseth
Tinseth Concentration Factor: 1.30

Additional Utilization Used For First Wort Hops: -10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
69.2 9.00 lbs. Gleneagle's Maris Otter Pale Great Britain 1.038 5
15.4 2.00 lbs. Honey Malt Canada 1.030 18
11.5 1.50 lbs. Victory Malt America 1.034 25
3.8 0.50 lbs. Corn Sugar Generic 1.046 0

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.25 oz. Northern Brewer Whole 6.50 39.9 First WH
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 13.4 30 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 8.7 15 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 4.6 8 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 1.3 2 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 Cup(s) Cinnamon-Basil Spice 15 Min.(boil)
0.50 Cup(s) Cinnamon-Basil Spice 2 Min.(boil)
0.25 Cup(s) Cinnamon-Basil Spice 8 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

Danstar Nottingham

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Multi Step

Grain Lbs: 12.50
Water Qts: 15.63 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.91 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.25 - Before Additional Infusions

Acid Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Protein Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Intermediate Rest Temp : 133 Time: 30
Saccharification Rest Temp : 151 Time: 45
Mash-out Rest Temp : 158 Time: 20
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 4.91 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Well, I can't comment on the cinnamon spice additions (let me know how those work out) or mash schedule (not enough experience there yet) but your grain bill and hops look right on to me. I don't know about the corn sugar, why not just use some DME instead? I love the choice of hops, Amarillo is one of my favorites for IPA.

Cinammon-basil spice IPA?.... that's your call, I don't care for spiced beers, and since I have no way of knowing how those flavors will play out it's hard to know how to approach the rest of the recipe. Two pounds of honey malt is a LOT, but again, it;s hard to know how that plays out against the spice.

Have you brewed with the cinnamon-basil combo previously? What kinda flavor profile do you get?

Personally, I really like my IPAs "clean" and crisp...low on the residual sweetness, plenty of hops up front and in the finish with a low but perceptible malt presence.

I'm a big fan of basil beer. I've made 3 of them before (one was that odd lemon-lime one that I shan't repeat), and have had great success. Took a cue from Bison's Honey Basil Ale, and my first batch was a basil pale that rocked.

I was wondering more about the malt and hop scheds, as I don't really expect too many people to be able to help out on the basil front. I've got that covered. I'm thinking 2 lbs of honey might be a bit much, but I'm really looking for a honey character here to complement the basil. There'll be no actual cinnamon going in, just cinnamon-basil (the cinnamon flavor in the basil is VERY subtle).

I used dextrose because it's easier to measure out and add than LME is. It's just for an extra kick of alcohol.

Evan! said:
I was wondering more about the malt and hop scheds, as I don't really expect too many people to be able to help out on the basil front. I've got that covered. I'm thinking 2 lbs of honey might be a bit much, but I'm really looking for a honey character here to complement the basil. There'll be no actual cinnamon going in, just cinnamon-basil (the cinnamon flavor in the basil is VERY subtle).

I used dextrose because it's easier to measure out and add than LME is. It's just for an extra kick of alcohol.

I was thinking along the same lines...wondering if with the spice additions if the amount of honey malt would muddy up the flavor profile a bit. Not really knowing what to anticipate from the ingredients as is, I really don't know what I would do there.

I've backed the honey down to 1.5 lbs.

You guys should try a straight up basil beer, like Bison's. Or mine. I've gotten nothing but complements on mine. We'll see how this goes. Wish me luck. Thanks for the input.

Here is my last American IPA, which was one of my best beers ever (I'll be doing another in the next batch or two). I tried to keep to the style by only using American grains, hops, and yeast. I'm a lot more relaxed now...

For what it's worth, a friend of mine who works for Sam Adams brought it to the head brewer to sample and he finished it with his dinner (so assume it was more than acceptable). He said the hop level was good, and not over the top.

Recipe: #10 American IPA
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.073 SG
Estimated Color: 9.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 61.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.0 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 13.3 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 6.7 %
1.00 oz Cascade [6.00%] (60 min) Hops 19.4 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [6.00%] (30 min) Hops 14.9 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 13.7 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [8.50%] (30 min) Hops 10.5 IBU
2.00 oz Cascade [6.00%] (2 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [8.50%] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 15.00 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 4.69 gal of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F 60 min

Hope this goes well Evan!

I have no aversion to Basil beer, but am not a big fan of the Cinnamon variety. ( I just couldn't find enough use for it). Now Thai Basil on the other hand.....

Evan! said:
(the cinnamon flavor in the basil is VERY subtle).

I wonder if I still have seed from the strain I grew. In contrast it was very strong in the Cinnamon department :D

Evan! said:
I've posted this recipe before. Got no responses.
[/FONT]

What am I, chopped liver? I responded to the honey malt question in you last post. I used 2.5 pounds in a PA that all seemed to like, including beerswap guys. So I definitely don't think that amount is overkill. Isn't that what you're looking for, personal experience using a somewhat heavy hand with the honey malt?
Hop schedule seems good too, that's more personal preference though. You've got additions at all stages, I like adding more hops later, but again that's personal preference.

Yeah, you're chopped liver---but you're organic chopped liver, from grass-fed free-range cows. :D

Seriously...I never saw those responses. WTF. Sometimes the "new posts" feature gets screwy on this site. Even if I haven't read it, it gets un-highlighted and I don't see it. Oh well. Sorry about that, mang. Now I do see your response. Thanks!

:mug:

I used 0.5 lbs Honey Malt in my American Wheat and it is still quite prominent. It seems to me that the dextrose is a good choice if you're just looking to boost OG since the honey malt will add that sweetness back in. Really depends on if you're a fan of sweet or dry IPAs.

Are you chopping the basil first before it goes in the boil or adding whole leaves? I'm just curious 'cause I love basil and this sounds good to me.

PseudoChef said:
Are you chopping the basil first before it goes in the boil or adding whole leaves? I'm just curious 'cause I love basil and this sounds good to me.

I'm curious too Evan. Also, does the Basil add a green tint to the wort?

I have never used Honey malt so take this with a grain of salt, but that seems like a lot. Most I have seen in a recipe is .50 pounds most seem to have .25.

Wow, this beer sounds simply awesome. How's it going with this one Evan?

I'm a huge basil fan, cinnamon fan and spice-in-beer fan. I had a basil ice cream in Germany that was astounding and made me realize basil is good for more than just italian dishes.

Basil Brew is, as seefresh puts it, simply awesome. Right now, she's fermenting away. Checked the chiller bath this morning, carboy temp was at 60f! So I drained the bath and it should get back up to the mid 60's.

Ryan, I used 2 lbs of honey malt in my DIPA, and it turned out fine. I really wanted a good honey character in this one, so...there you go.

No, it doesn't add any green color or anything like that. Basil doesn't really bleed color.

Checked her gravity last night, as the airlock had slowed considerably and the krausen dropped. Dropped to 1.020, which is not too shabby. Puts it at about 72% attenuation...low for Nottingham, but with all the honey and victory malt in there, I figure there's a little more unfermentable sugars than usual.

The sampled tasted AMAZING. Not too basil-y, just right...very happy...

Racked it to secondary last night. Gawd-DAMN! Dropped to 1.015. 78.7% attenuation...not too shabby. And 7.82% ABV. Best of all, it tastes like a million bucks. Even without the basil, this is one hell of a recipe...I think I might try it without the basil sometime. But it really does add something to it, even if you're not a basil fan. Anyway, I highly recommend this recipe. All that victory and honey malts really gave it an awesome profile. Success is mine!!!

Latest posts

Back