120 or 220v outlet????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernYankee

Reaction score
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction and explain to me what type of outlet this is. I know it can run 120v since it is in my garage right next to the Irrigation System which is about 5 1/2 feet from the floor.

Long story short. I bought a new home in Oct 09. Ive never seen this type of outlet before and want to get into welding with a 220v machine. Hopefully this might be a 220. It would save me from having to have one installed.

Never seen an outlet like this with a "side slot" other then maybe an oven/range... dryer.
Thanks guys

002.jpg

:mug:

Can you track down the breaker? It looks like a 20amp 120v. It is defiantly not 240v. Unless somebody rigged it and over powered the rating.

The reason I ask about the breaker is it could just be 15amp 120v.

The receptacle is a NEMA 5-20 used with a unit that needs a dedicated 20A circuit. The 5-20 plug will have one blade perpendicular to the other. This particular plug was intended for one thing to be on the circuit otherwise there would be two plugs. You can plug any 110/120V unit into this plug assuming it was wired properly.

Back