Brewed My First Batch...Yeast prob?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAGNER BREWING

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of brew last night and it was a great time actually. I brewed a Irish Stout from Brewers Best. The yeast package says to dissolve in 2/3 cup of water 15 min before adding to the wort. I did that and then poured into the wort. My gravity reading was 1.044, which I think is pretty good for a first batch. I havent had any bubbling or even a slight sign of it. Maybe im just being a newbie and worrying. I am just curious if possibly the yeast is bad. I would hate to see my first batch that went so well, be ruined over some cheap yeast. :tank:

WAGNER BREWING said:
I brewed my first batch of brew last night and it was a great time actually. I brewed a Irish Stout from Brewers Best. The yeast package says to dissolve in 2/3 cup of water 15 min before adding to the wort. I did that and then poured into the wort. My gravity reading was 1.044, which I think is pretty good for a first batch. I havent had any bubbling or even a slight sign of it. Maybe im just being a newbie and worrying. I am just curious if possibly the yeast is bad. I would hate to see my first batch that went so well, be ruined over some cheap yeast. :tank:

Yeast can take anywhere up to 72 hours to start. Take a deep breath, grab a cold one, and relax.

I would think it's to early to worry. Having said that, those yeast packs are not the best so you might want to have a good yeast on hand in case you don't see some activity.

Yeast goes through three stages (which overlap): Growth, anaerobic production of alcohol, clean-up of metabolic by-products. The growth stage can take 6-72 hours.

that is good news! let it stay in the primary for 1 week. Are you using a secondary?

I am also a new brewer with a related question. I am on my first batch and I used the same kit, Brewer's Best Irish Stout. I had a little bit of activity within a few hours, but it seems to have stopped now, about a day later. Should I give it more time to get going more, or do I have a problem on my hands? Thanks.

My batch started fermenting after 12-14 hrs. I wouldnt get worried too soon, because i sure did. There is tons of advice on what to do if it does not start to ferment, keep me posted on what happens.

At 1.020 I siphoned the beer to a secondary. I hope it clears up well. Im thinking that I'll leave it in the seconday for 3 - 5 days and try to get the gravity reading to 1.018. Sound right?

I don't know about the final s.g. because it depends on the recipe but I'd probably leave the beer in secondary about two weeks. I've never used any finings with my beers and almost always do a two week secondary. I've been thrilled with the results- clear tasty beer of all types! If you're going to the trouble of doing a secondary, 3 days just won't cut it. You want the sediment to well, settle, and fermentation to completely finish. Most folks on this board recommend the 1-2-3 method for most beers. 1 week in primary, 2 in secondary, 3 in bottles before drinking.

At the very least, plan on a full week in the secondary. You'll be amazed at the amount of "stuff" on the bottom of the carboy.

Lorena

I usually do a two week secondary, too. Sometimes three weeks. Sometimes you get busy or lazy and it goes longer!;) I've never had it affect the flavor by having it sit longer in secondary.

One thing I highly recommend to everyone is to make a yeast starter a day or two prior to brew day. It's easy to do and takes little time. That way, if your yeast isn't viable and healthy, you'll know it and be able to plan accordingly. If it is viable and healthy, your fermentation will take off very quick once you add the yeast to your primary - usually within 3-6 hours! Here's an FAQ on yeast starters.

Latest posts

Back