Critique my Rastaman Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBrown

Reaction score
Robust Porter 1 Gal.

1lb 11.2oz 2Row
8oz Munich Malt
3.2oz C 40L
3.2oz Chocolate Malt
.35oz EKG @ 60
.15 Fuggles @ 15
.15 EKG @ 0

7 days Primary
14 day Secondary
-4.6oz of cold brewed Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee.

Up in the air between US-05 and Wyeast 1056 (Never used liquid yeast)

:tank: JAH!

This beer is useless without weed. ;)

Nah, just bustin' yer bong. I doubt you'd notice the difference between the JBM and any other decent coffee in a porter. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but I'd drink the good stuff and get something else freshly roasted for the beer.

Converting from 1 to my usual 5 gallons seems to indicate the recipe is fine otherwise, but I've had a few already, so await other replies to be safe.

Rastamen don't drink coffee and your recipe should taste like good coffee porter assuming your proportions are ok.

One gallon batch recipes don't compute.

Someone once told me. Great minds think alike.

Interesting article from the http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3617267Huffington Post

My question really is which liquid yeast would be better suited for the Robust Porter style?
American Ale or California Ale?

I greatly appreciate the info.

By all accounts, they were originally the same strain, now held by different banks and shipped in different forms. For all that, they seem to be nearly identical. Look for the threads where people do split batches and try to tell the difference. There isn't much.

will there be a noticeable difference in taste between the liquid and dry yeast?
I'd like to try my hand at liquid and am curious to know if it's worth the effort.
I imagine saving half of the yeast in a sanitary container in the fridge for use within a week
would be best.

image-3430895417.jpg

Distinguished Rastaman Porter. Brewed with A blend of Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee and Marley Coffee. Offering a slight malt aroma, dark brown appearance with a chocolate character and coffee finish. I hope.

Back