Seriously???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"The elk was honored with a makeshift memorial of candles, songs and stories."

Yes, please, someone in CO confirm that this yet another exaggeration by FOX News!

If the neighbors are dissatisfied with the way the police deal with elk in the neighborhood, a public demonstration of that dissatisfaction seems like a reasonable way to express it.

Is that an assumption or do you actually know more about the story?

I almost hit an elk once in northern Arizona, the herd was crossing the road. Had that happened I may not be here today. :)

Huge animals.. the only thing I could see was legs.

The neighborhood was pissed. The police were a bit shady about it all too.

You know I posted that in jest but golddiggie nailed it. They should have a block party and eat it. Be a good way to meet your neighbors and make friends.

But BBQ on elk. Nope just salt and pepper for me please:)

This is what happens when you "legalize it". Bunch of hippies having candlelight vigil's for animals.

Those guys need to take up home brewing. Then they'd have better things to do with their free time.

Not sure about the vigil, but just going from the article, it sounds like a poor decision on the part of the officer. Unless it's creating a direct danger, he should be letting someone qualified to deal with wildlife decide whether it needs to be put down.

Unless it's absolutely necessary, I know I don't want anyone firing a gun in my neighborhood. Was there a reason he couldn't keep an eye on it and wait until someone with a dart gun could come in so they could tranquilize and then either transport it or put it down? Sounds like a far better option than risking a stray bullet.

It was in Boulder, which the rest of us don't consider CO :). And yes it did happen. The story is there was an Elk that had been wintering in the neighborhood for a couple of years now. Some reports of it acting agressive a few weeks ago, but haven't seen anything that actually confirmed that.

A lot of the touchy feely folks in Boulder are upset about the killing of an animal. The rest of us are upset by the way it was killed. The Boulder PD office shot the elk at night with his service shotgun. Called an off-duty Sheriff Deputy to come get the Elk and take it to his house. People called the city to complain about there officer shooting the Elk, were told several times none of their officers were involved.

Comes out a few days later that the Cop did shoot the Elk, said the elk was injured (no one in the neighborhood saw it with any injuries) , but never called dispatch (required by city policy before discharge of a weapon in non-emergency situation), never filed an after action report (required in all situations where an officer discharges a gun), and never called Parks & Wildlife (not required but SOP for the department when dealing with wildlife).

Bottom line is the officer Poached the Elk in the City (Where hunting is banned) and tried to cover it up. If he honestly shot the Elk because it was injured, he would have called dispatch before hand, called Parks & Wildlife, and filed an after action report. He and the deputy should be charged with Poaching and fired.

Elk is too dry for BBQ , not enough fat content for BBQ...stew it!!:D

if ya don't believe me read lewis & clark.....:D

smokem if ya gottem:tank:

GD:mug:

It was in Boulder, which the rest of us don't consider CO :). And yes it did happen. The story is there was an Elk that had been wintering in the neighborhood for a couple of years now. Some reports of it acting agressive a few weeks ago, but haven't seen anything that actually confirmed that.

A lot of the touchy feely folks in Boulder are upset about the killing of an animal. The rest of us are upset by the way it was killed. The Boulder PD office shot the elk at night with his service shotgun. Called an off-duty Sheriff Deputy to come get the Elk and take it to his house. People called the city to complain about there officer shooting the Elk, were told several times none of their officers were involved.

Comes out a few days later that the Cop did shoot the Elk, said the elk was injured (no one in the neighborhood saw it with any injuries) , but never called dispatch (required by city policy before discharge of a weapon in non-emergency situation), never filed an after action report (required in all situations where an officer discharges a gun), and never called Parks & Wildlife (not required but SOP for the department when dealing with wildlife).

Bottom line is the officer Poached the Elk in the City (Where hunting is banned) and tried to cover it up. If he honestly shot the Elk because it was injured, he would have called dispatch before hand, called Parks & Wildlife, and filed an after action report. He and the deputy should be charged with Poaching and fired.

Finally someone can offer a reasonable account and the ridiculous "bunch of worthless hippies have nothing better to do" posts look pretty juvenile now. Faux news successfully spins it again! Well done, lemmings, well done.

Wrap it up in BACON!! :D Or grill it up then. Make chili from parts too. :D I'm sure there's plenty that can be done with an entire elk. Make sausages from some too (don't let CG get a hold if the liver and such though :eek:). :D

Personally, if the elk was being aggressive towards people, I would have shot it too. Of course, you should follow what you must for legal reasons. It's generally not worth the pain to not do so. So either the officer that did the shooting had the approval of his supervisor (and they're just denying it to cover their asses now) or he did an illegal shoot. With not filing proper after action reports and such, he should at least be reprimanded. I don't think firing someone over this is appropriate. Unless it's not the first time he's done this. As for using the shotgun, maybe he wanted to be sure it was killed with one shot, and didn't trust his service pistol to do the job.

IMO, holding the vigil just goes to show how F'd up this country is. If they have an issue with what the cop did, then they need to file protests, or protest at the station over it. Holding a vigil over a freakin animal is just... Well, more than just nuts.

I bet the people that organized it, and were the majority of the people on the vigil, are either anti-gun or are vegans. :eek: :D

Thanks @JeepDiver for the WHOLE story. This definitely makes more sense now. Ugh, this is exactly why FAUX News is the worst of the disaster that is mainstream media...

Although a vigil is a bit much and certainly not the best way to show your dislike for what happened. I agree with @Golddiggie

Well not knowing the facts it would appear as if the cops were wrong in killing the elk. That though does not explain the bizarre actions of the people holding a candle light vigil for a elk or what I like to call dinner.

Buffalo it just about the best on a grill. Honestly I have ate everything from rock chucks to mountain lion and buffalo is the best by far

the ridiculous "bunch of worthless hippies have nothing better to do" posts look pretty juvenile now.

Not really, I don't know about the "worthless hippies" part but in general I think this whole "vigil" nonsense over the killing of an elk within city limits really points out how ridiculous our society has become.

If these cops, or whoever, were poaching then they need to answer for that but there are already laws on the books in regard. The "elk vigil" was not only unnecessary and pointless but it's really the only thing here that can be considered juvenile. ;)

Well not knowing the facts it would appear as if the cops were wrong in killing the elk. That though does not explain the bizarre actions of the people holding a candle light vigil for a elk or what I like to call dinner.

Buffalo it just about the best on a grill. Honestly I have ate everything from rock chucks to mountain lion and buffalo is the best by far

I'd love to try some buffalo, but they only have the ground up stuff in the grocery store I go to. Not sure where else to get it either. :(

gizmodog51 said:

Obviously you have never had foil wrapped camp fire BBQ elk ribs after packing an elk off the mountain back to camp. Absolutely delicious!

JeepDiver said:

Yep, that's the story I heard as well.

Golddiggie said:
Neighborhood BBQ would have been the correct response. Not some pansy vigil.

Mmmm ... Elk backstrap ...

I'd love to try some buffalo, but they only have the ground up stuff in the grocery store I go to. Not sure where else to get it either. :(

Once you eat it at least a steak and not the ground up stuff you will hate eating beef for a good long time. Man it is good and I am sitting here thinking about the meat right next to the bone in a tbone steak and just wishing I had some:D

Golddiggie said:

Google! There are a few buffalo/beefalo farms near me, but most of them sell directly from the farm or at farmer's markets.

Randar said:
Finally someone can offer a reasonable account and the ridiculous "bunch of worthless hippies have nothing better to do" posts look pretty juvenile now. Faux news successfully spins it again! Well done, lemmings, well done.

Did you read the story? It's like a dozen lines and not spun in any way I can see. The story even mentions that an off duty officer even helped the on duty officer who shot the animal bring it back to his house for processing and that the department has suspended both officers for their actions. In what way is this a spin on what happened? Maybe not as detailed as it could have been but I wouldn't say misleading in any way.

That though does not explain the bizarre actions of the people holding a candle light vigil for a elk or what I like to call dinner.

Boulder is full of East Coast Trust babies, that have decided to become free-spirt vegan, earth loving hippies. Probably just to piss off Daddy Big$Bucks. So holding a vigil there for an animal makes sense, when you think about the people there.

And there are some good folks in Boulder, but in general it is full of nuts.

ELK_zps672e4372.jpg

To candlelight and the gentle humming of kumbaya in the background...

We gather here today, on this HBT thread, to honor the life that was taken from us so suddenly and unexpectedly by my neighbor the gun wielding, elk killing, remorseless psychopath that she is.

Whilst a shame that this poor defenseless animal was sacrificed so long before its time it does taste mighty good in the chili I made, and its severed head does look mighty fine hanging on Saundra's wall.

Let us pray...

ELK_zps672e4372.jpg

To candlelight and the gentle humming of kumbaya in the background...

We gather here today, on this HBT thread, to honor the life that was taken from us so suddenly and unexpectedly by my neighbor the gun wielding, elk killing, remorseless psychopath that she is.

Whilst a shame that this poor defenseless animal was sacrificed so long before its time it does taste mighty good in the chili I made, and its severed head does look mighty fine hanging on Saundra's wall.

Let us pray...

Amen... now, DIG IN!! :D

So true, and such a shame too because it has the potential to be such a great place.

Yeah I've only been there a couple of times, but in general it is a cool town, lots of great beer there too. Also great location at the foothills of the mountains.

I was stationed at Ft Carson in Colorado Springs. I loved the area and have gone back to visit many times. But I have noticed that the John Denver feeling back in the 70's has pretty much changed now to something I do not enjoy as much. I know there are some good folks still there but it is changing for sure

Varmintman said:
I was stationed at Ft Carson in Colorado Springs. I loved the area and have gone back to visit many times. But I have noticed that the John Denver feeling back in the 70's has pretty much changed now to something I do not enjoy as much. I know there are some good folks still there but it is changing for sure

With the new legislation around here that Rocky Mountain high he used to sing about is coming back with a vengeance!

The internets can has everything

Did you read the story? It's like a dozen lines and not spun in any way I can see. The story even mentions that an off duty officer even helped the on duty officer who shot the animal bring it back to his house for processing and that the department has suspended both officers for their actions. In what way is this a spin on what happened? Maybe not as detailed as it could have been but I wouldn't say misleading in any way.

Yes I read it. Like you said, it was too brief and didn't give the context...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/07/elk-shot-by-police-mourned-at-vigil_n_2423848.html
The animal was like a neighborhood fixture and some ******* cop with a taxidermy business on the side up and kills him without license or permit. Still a little over the top to hold a vigil for the animal, but some people needed closure, apparently. Why is it a big deal to you? If an animal had become a fixture of the neighborhood, sort of like a communal pet, for a couple years and then this happened, how would you feel? If it was a dog or cat or elk makes no difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back