New additions to my brewery... (couple kegs and a burner)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFlyingBeer

Reaction score
Spent the last few hours of what seems to be my only day off working on my newest additions to my brewing equipment. I picked up a couple of 1/2 barrel kegs from Craigslist for $20/each and got to work sanding and cutting them both. Both were in pretty good shape with only the expected scratches and light dents. Along with the kegs I used a giftcard I have had laying around for a while to purchase a Bayou Classic burner from the Home Depot. Check out pictures below.

sandingkegs1.jpg

The keg on the left is for the most part untouched (removed the colored stripes), while the keg on the left has had its first encounter with the orbital sander.

cutkegs1.jpg

A shot of the holes cut in the tops of each keg. I cut the keg on the left first and learned a few lessons from it before cutting the second one with a larger opening.

kegsandburner1.jpg

New burner I picked up from Home Depot, cost about $47 or so after taxes and brought 5 gallons of water to boil in about 15 mins (lid off) during my first test.

I can't wait to put these new additions to use, time to go decide what style beer I want to brew next... might have to have a double brew day soon. I will most likely be giving the keg with the smaller opening up top to a friend and keep the other for myself. Just need to add a few tabs to the lids so they can be used during brewing.

I hate you, ok, not really. Very nice additions, I'm jealous. How come I can never find cool stuff to brew with? Never any good burners or kegs to be picked up.....

FSR402 said:
sweet, now don't forget the ball valve, thermometer, and s sightglass. :mug:

Well here is the deal, I am looking to add what you just mentioned... but I don't have access to welding equipment atm. Eventually I would like to weld a coupler in place but for now I need to go weldless. Just haven't had the time to piece together the equipment. What I am looking for is a weldless setup that would use the same diameter hole in the bottom of the keg so eventually I could go welded. Any ideas on parts?

TheFlyingBeer said:
Well here is the deal, I am looking to add what you just mentioned... but I don't have access to welding equipment atm. Eventually I would like to weld a coupler in place but for now I need to go weldless. Just haven't had the time to piece together the equipment. What I am looking for is a weldless setup that would use the same diameter hole in the bottom of the keg so eventually I could go welded. Any ideas on parts?

Do you know someone who can spend 20 mins to do the weld for you? Or, start looking in the yellow pages, it really can't be that much. Whatever size you pick for weldless, you can do for welded.....remember, the tig or the mig can do anything, so you should be more concerned about weldless IMH(drunk)O :D

Weldless fittings typically use a 7/8 hole for a 1/2" coupler. The 1/2" couplers that I have welded in are 1 1/16" holes. So when you decide to go welded just up the size. Piece of cake

I have all weldless, even though I work in a die shop and could just get it welded here or even do it myself for free.
But I'm lazy and don't feel like welding it. So, I went to weldless.

Figured I would pick myself up a setup off this site. Then I should be able to weld it in when I get back to school and have a workshop available once again. The prices are right so I don't feel to bad buying a bit of extra hardware.

TheFlyingBeer said:
Figured I would pick myself up a setup off this site. Then I should be able to weld it in when I get back to school and have a workshop available once again. The prices are right so I don't feel to bad buying a bit of extra hardware.

Wow, any idea why they're over $10 cheaper than NB for the same spigot kit?

Maybe they bought all the parts in quantity and are not looking to make as much profit of each single sale. Either way I am impressed by the price and I plan on ordering a setup as well as a couple extra parts to add in some sight glasses. Gotta love finding a deal. :)

My experience with weldless is... IT IS CRAP!!!! I have some weldless kits from morebeer for my mash tun. If I had just paid the money out for someone to weld the stuff I would have saved money and had a more watertight, sanitary and better looking mash tun. Right now what I have works and I'm not sure when I'm going to get it welded because I'm going to have to buy different fittings for the pickup tube for my mash tun. Do your homework. Find out how much EXACTLY each route costs. Then make a decision. I diddn't do my homework, it was a quick decision that cost me alot of time, busted knuckles and not a sexy as I would like mash tun. All that being said It works just as well as one that is welded, just ALOT more maintainance involved. grains DO get stuck behind the huge washers that hold it all together. hope this helps! :rockin:

Thanks for the input but I just ordered two sets of those weldless fittings. One is for my friend and I am keeping the other. Like I said when I go up to school (2-3 weeks) I have access to all the welding gear I need being an engineering student so I will then weld the 1/2 coupler into the keg after cutting a larger hole. At least in my current plan nothing should go to waste. The only reason I am even messing with the weldless is that I need make a few brews before the move... no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

TheFlyingBeer said:
no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

I see a good tag line right there... :D
"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " <TheFlyingBeer >

FSR402 said:
I see a good tag line right there... :D
"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " <TheFlyingBeer >

I guess I will have to say that so I can put it in my signature for a while... No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space.

Thanks.

TheFlyingBeer said:
I guess I will have to say that so I can put it in my signature for a while... No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space.

Thanks.

I love the " - me part

I remember a while back seeing a website that had some weldless fittings for sale. They advertised that you didn't have to worry how much you tightened the nuts for the fittings, the rubber gaskets/washers wouldn't deform, or spread out. They guaranteed them leak proof. Problem is, I can't remember who that was.

Anyone know??

TheFlyingBeer said:
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

You are my hero. So simple. Too true. I cannont see any flaw in your logic what so ever. This is one of my favorite quotes ever. As of now it is in my signature! You are inspiration to us all my friend!!!

Forgot to post this earlier... I have that burner. I LOVE that burner. Only one problem with it is the first time You use it the paint STINKS when it burns off... hahaha!!!! WHEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Grimsawyer said:
Only one problem with it is the first time You use it the paint STINKS when it burns off... hahaha!!!! WHEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Yeah I did a test burn with water in a keg just to get the paint off of it. When I purchased it I knew there was no way that the paint right under the flame would survive the propane burner. Now it's ready for my double or tripple brew day on Sunday.

How much propane does that sucker use for 5 gal batches?

TheFlyingBeer said:
Yeah I did a test burn with water in a keg just to get the paint off of it. When I purchased it I knew there was no way that the paint right under the flame would survive the propane burner. Now it's ready for my double or tripple brew day on Sunday.

How much propane does that sucker use for 5 gal batches?
I have the same burner and I got 5 full boil 5 gal. batches out of the standard 20# tank. I also used it on my grill to so I maybe could get 6 to 7 out of it.

Just remember to fill it up at a gas station where they sell propane. 7 bucks instead of 20 to exchange!! :rockin:

Well I was hoping to get two brews under the belt tonight but I just ran out of time. I brewed my American IPA tonight with the keggle as well as a new immersion chiller I put together today. Everything went really good being my first full boil. Tomorrow I will be brewing a Belgian White and will hopefully remember to take a few pictures of the setup in action. The burner boiled very quickly and my chiller got the beer to pitching temperatures in about 10-15 minutes or so.

Gotta keep filling up these carboys! :tank:

WOOOHOOO!!! GRATS!!! That's cool man! Just remember to be extra careful cleaning around those weldless fittings. They can be problematic. ;)

Back