30qt turkeypot=hot liquor tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blefferd

Reaction score
ok so here is the deal, i want to go AG pretty bad, but im still very new to brewing only on my second batch of extract ever lol. im getting alot of ideas and so far i can have a basic 3 tier system set up once i get every thing, ie hot liquor tank, mash tun etc.

well here is my question. i set up some over head storage and while cleaning the garage yesterday it hit me BING! i can sit my hot liquor tank up there pipe the hot water down to my mash tun then right into my wort pot and propane cooker! my question is this, there is NO way possible of me setting up some heating element up to my hot liquor tank, so im going to have to heat the water and sit it up on the over head rack. is this what every one does? and my second question, can i just drill a hole in the 30qt aluminium stock pot that came with my propane cooker and attach the fittings+the gaskets or should i get it welded for the piping down to the mash tun????

:rockin:

I am in the same situation, and it is not advisable to lift however many gallons of very hot water over your head. Just get a pitcher and scoop it out into your mash tun. You might lose a degree or two, so just account for that when you are heating up the water.

hmm i never thought of that, i could keep it at a certain temp also lol
and i wouldnt have to worry about plumbing down to the mash tun!

i have a little giant ladder so lifting it over my head is NO PROBLEM! lol

yes and yes

I dont have a "sculpture and basicly still use a 3 tier set up, the difference is my "tiers" are saw horses.

As for drilling your pot thats exactly what I did with my keggel. Just make sure you deburr it well or you'll shred your o-rings on the weldless fitting

Like Troy said though lifting hot water over your head is not real bright so I pour the water into my mash tun thats set at a hight just above the hight of my kettel sittingon the floor, then lift the kettle onto the burner when ready to boil. Highest Im lifting that hot water is MAYBE waste high

lol ive been trying to figure out a way to do it in my garage because i have no tools to build with, no welder to weld with lol so when i saw the over head storage it was like a light bulb. i do have a desk in there i could use and some old phone books would prolly do the trick thanks for the ideas!

knipknup said:
My 3 tier system: Counter + pile of books -> Chair -> Floor. Has not let me down yet and was dirt cheap... I already had all those things laying around. :D

Hey, did you steal my system???? I was going to have that copyrighted :mad: :cross:

Anyway, mines worked great for me too, especially brewing all grain in a 1 br apartment.

My 3-tier: A wooden stool, my porch, and the sidewalk below my porch. =)

Improvisation is good. =)

-D

hmm i could sit it on my little giant ladder lol and go down from there :) only bad thing is i have a 6 step little giant so its just about as high as my over head storage lol

Here is my approach to doing what you want to do. Milk crates, my turkey fryer pot (I have a bigger brew kettle), and an electric heat stick. For a heat stick you can use a bucket heater available at any farm supply store or build one like I did. Illustrated build instructions are available at: http://www.cedarcreeknetworks.com/heatstick.htm

Here is what my HLT setup looks like:

HLT.jpg

Bugeater Brewing Company

I used to have a single pulley hoist that I used to lift the bucket. Now that I batch sparge, lifting & dumping 2-3 gallons is no problem.

could someone enlighten me as to what is batch sparging? hmm a pulley would be a great idea lol heat the water pull it up and be done with it! lol

blefferd said:
could someone enlighten me as to what is batch sparging?

If your are not sure then reading this www.hotobrew.com would be really beneficial.

Do you know what fly sparging is?

Batch sparging is sparging in batches. Putting as much sparge water onto the mash at once as you can. Drain and repeat until you have your boil volume or you get to a gravity of 1010.

that link didnt work. i saw the batch and fly spargining on wiki but the links that tell what it was was not updated!

i dont know what fly spargining is either lol

Back