Wild hops in Germany

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuelshopMcgee

Reaction score
Moving into a new house in Niersbach, Germany (I'm stationed here) I homebrew (duh that's why I'm here) and while poking around in the backyard there is a hop plant not trained in anyway just growing like a weed in the backyard. It had a lot of big green buds on it but each bud had some brown on the bottom (nitrogen deficiency?)

I was just wondering if there is anyway I can figure out what variety I have? I'll try and snap some pictures of it if that helps. Is there a good gallery to look at what a German hop plant will look like to distinguish?

Identifying hop plants isn't simple or easy, although it's likely to be one of the noble hops. I'd start by asking any local breweries what if anything is grown in the area.

I'd start by asking any local breweries what if anything is grown in the area.

good point. i'll add that if you do have some local breweries that you befriend, you could take some of the cones with you and maybe the brewer could possibly narrow it down by giving them a rub and smell.

Back