Adding canned apricots to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmgreen7

Reaction score
I've decided that i'd like to make a apricot hefeweizen. I made up a Honeyweizen kit from NB, and I'd like to add the apricots to the secondary. I couldn't find fresh or frozen apricots, so i pickedup on some cans of apricot in pear juice. So my questions are:
1) are these acceptable?
2) should i rinse them to get the pear juice off.
3) How do i fit something the size of an apricot into the small entrance of a carboy.
4) is there anything else i should know?

Thanks everyone!

Dried apricots would be a much better choice IMO and any supermarket will have those.

Really? I'd never even thought about that. what kind of quantities would i need for a 5 gallon batch?

Apricot Puree is also a good choice. Oregon Fruit Puree is available in supermarkets, and home brew stores as well. If you do use the canned apricots, i'd rinse them off, then blend them.

is there any prep i need to do with the dried apricot? I have 24oz of it (prob not nearly enough) but i need to get this done tonight when i transfer to secondary. thanks

Back