it's tart cherry season in the midwest -- what should I brew with them!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I use these tart cherries in?

• a dry, tart, refreshing saison

• a malty, toffee-ish dubbel

• a 12% ABV Belgian Dark Strong to be consumed in the dead of winter

• something else

Results are only viewable after voting.

RBlagojevich

Reaction score
Gonna pick tart cherries on Sunday. What beer should I brew to use them in?

-a dry, tart saison?
-a malty, toffee-ish dubbel?
-a 12% ABV Belgian dark strong to drink at Christmastime?

or something else?

how many pounds of cherries are appropriate in a 5-gallon batch? I've never put fruit in my secondary before.

Be very careful when brewing with tart cherries. I used them once by accident (thought I bought sweet cheeries) and the tart flavor compeltely dominated a wheat beer. I used 2 cans pureed in the secondary and the beer was not bad, but I do not like tart flavor very much. I ended up giving them to a friend, and he enjoyed the beer.

Be very careful when brewing with tart cherries. I used them once by accident (thought I bought sweet cheeries) and the tart flavor compeltely dominated a wheat beer. I used 2 cans pureed in the secondary and the beer was not bad, but I do not like tart flavor very much. I ended up giving them to a friend, and he enjoyed the beer.

I'm brewing a big wheat (5 gallons of cherry, 3 gallons of American) with the order you just sent me.

For cherries, I have 3 cans of Kroger tart and one can of Oregon fruit. I used 5.5 pounds last time, that was too much.

hmm... I think I would like the tartness. What was it that you didn't like about your batch? was it that you were expecting a sweet cherry flavor and it came out unexpectedly sour?

Im glad to see someone posting a thread in regards to sour cherries...I have a Cherry Porter recipe that calls for 5# of Sour Cherries or Choke Cherries...Im in Southern Indiana and Im not sure of what they are...Are the known as sour cherries or is it a different variety under a different name...Pardon my ignorance...lol...Thanks

yeah, they're different from sweet cherries. tart cherries are the ones commonly used in cherry pie. they're relatively more rare, but in season right now.

Choke cherries grow in the south wild. They're nasty imo. Something like Apple <-> Crab Apple.

Back