Twin Cities Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd2448

Reaction score
hi, i'm off to st paul for the week for work and wanted to ask if there are any beers i should try while i am there. any good brewpubs worth a look?

also - what's the food speciality? i don't the sound of lutefisk (sp?) but i like to try a bit of local cuisine when i'm travelling. i'd appreciate any ideas you guys have.

i like and regularly buy Summit, but you may be able to get that where you live?
Surley has a following and can't be found out of state.
Both of these beers you should be able to get in any decent off sale.
Enjoy MN ! :mug:

i like and regularly buy Summit, but you may be able to get that where you live?
Surley has a following and can't be found out of state.
Both of these beers you should be able to get in any decent off sale.
Enjoy MN ! :mug:

Just had a pint in the hotel bar (an irish place called "the liffey"). Had lunch at a brew pub, Greatwater, in downtown St Paul - any good? Didn't try the beer but might go back later in the week.

I've tried a couple of Summit extra pale ales - it's ok and I can see it being a good go-to option around the area.

I had some Gluek (?) at the baseball - that just tasted like lite beer to me - not impressed.

And last night I went to Greatwater in St. Paul - tried all they had on offer and some of them were very good. Fave was a strong mild (if that makes sense). Good to see beer on handpumps, too!

Summit has a fantastic porter. Gluek is pretty bad, though their amber works if you're in college and want better-than-bud-light but inexpensive beer. Enjoy MN.

I haven't been there yet, but the Muddy Pig is supposed to be great. Lots of Belgians on tap:
The Muddy Pig

Minneapolis Town Hall is excellent:
Welcome to Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Gluek's is terrible. Grain Belt isn't much better. Not a huge fan of Summit, but it's everywhere here-even the dive bars. Surly makes some good beers (I really like their Cynic Ale), unfortunately it's not really any cheaper at the liquor store than it is at the bar. Bell's at most places on tap here too, which is nice.

I can't think of a restaurant that specializes in hot dish. Hmm.

+1 on making the drive to WI for New Glarus.

I just got back from the St. Paul area last week. Stub and Herb's was my favorite pub. They have 4 Surly beers on tap and they have awesome food. I brought 16 Surly beers home on the plane with me to Florida.

Back