So what happens if the plant freezes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigzippo

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question but I really know nothing about growing. Anyhow, it got in the low 20's here three weeks ago and my vines shriveled up and died. So is the plant dead or are the vines dead but I can keep growing the roots and get new vines next year?
Do I need to buy a new rhizome is what I really mean.

The plants will send up more shoots in a week or two. My plants survive two to three months of freezing weather every year, and they still grow like weeds.

yep.. it's a weed, ;) mine froze last week when we got 3 inches of snow, the bine folded over, but sprung up when the snow melted.

You're good, it is possible to freeze and kill the root system in a small pot but it has to be a bitter, bitter winter.

I personally feel, its weed. And hey.. don't worry, they will be fine in some time. Even mine plants can survive for 1 month in freezing condition.

my new growth has frozen 2 times this season, I was worried too but my bines have started for the third time and are about 12 inches tall.

I have all first year hops in the ground and only 2 of the 8 have anything to mention above the ground. Maybe 2-3 inches and I think it froze back in January, maybe not at any rate it is suppose to be 90 this weekend and these things need to grow!!!

Back