Secondary Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawDeuce22

Reaction score
This is my third batch but my first time I am using the secondary. Im still on the Brewers Best kits from the local homebrew store so I can feel this whole homebrewing deal out. I just siphoned the dunkelweizen out of the primary over to the secondary last night (2.28.2009) and just feel that I am missing something and/or did something wrong.

Am I supposed to add anything to the carboy.
????????????????????????????????????????????

Nope, you're golden. This step is to take the beer off of the yeast so you don't get any off flavors & for clearing - some argue this isn't even necessary.

For most brews, I use the 1-2-3 method.

1 weeks in primary
2 weeks in secondary
3 weeks in bottle

Aside from making sure it was cleaned and sanitized...no.

The only observation is that racking a dunkel to a secondary is not necessary, unless you just wanted to free up a primary for another batch.

Weizens are inherently cloudy due to the high protein content and the yeast strains. Racking to a secondary is used to help clear up your beer.

Regardless, it'll be just fine.

Thanks for the quick replys guys.

Yes, everything was cleaned and sanitized.
And YES, I am trying to free up the primary for the next batch.

Im a newbie so as soon as one is done I want to do it again, I guess its like having sex for the first time...as soon as you do it once you just want to do it again as soon as possible!

This is my third batch but my first time I am using the secondary. Im still on the Brewers Best kits from the local homebrew store so I can feel this whole homebrewing deal out. I just siphoned the dunkelweizen out of the primary over to the secondary last night (2.28.2009) and just feel that I am missing something and/or did something wrong.

How can last night be 2.28.2009?! Have you been hanging around with that crazy scientist Doc Emmet Brown again?!?! Slacker McFly! you're a slacker!!

well excuse me frets for reading the calendar wrong the "last night" was actually the 26th, but i want to thank the guys who actually ANSWERED my question

Please note as a matter of course, that any posts after roughly 5:00PM are more likely than not to be influenced by the effects of commercial or home brewed beer.

Therefore, said posts should be taken with a large grain of salt and assumed to be created with tongue firmly in cheek and mug firmly in hand. Rarely are these posts a reflection of someones personal feelings towards another. Rather they are a product of the posters desire to hear themselves "say" something humorous.

Too often however, there is severe a disconnect between what the poster deems humorous, and the what receiving audience perceives as funny.

In other words, we're not as funny as we think we are when we're druck. :p

If you decide you want to use a clarifier this is where you could add it, I usually use one but I just want to try and speed up the process.

well excuse me frets for reading the calendar wrong the "last night" was actually the 26th, but i want to thank the guys who actually ANSWERED my question

ShawDeuce, Im sorry brother, didnt mean to offend you there, I was just poking a little fun. Im a pretty big fan of Back To The Future which explains the humor (or lack there of).

Please note as a matter of course, that any posts after roughly 5:00PM are more likely than not to be influenced by the effects of commercial or home brewed beer.

Therefore, said posts should be taken with a large grain of salt and assumed to be created with tongue firmly in cheek and mug firmly in hand. Rarely are these posts a reflection of someones personal feelings towards another. Rather they are a product of the posters desire to hear themselves "say" something humorous.

Too often however, there is severe a disconnect between what the poster deems humorous, and the what receiving audience perceives as funny.

In other words, we're not as funny as we think we are when we're druck. :p

well put BierMuncher, thanks,.

What everyone else said. You did everything right. Looking forward to hearing how the Dunkel comes out. I LOVE Brewing Dunkels and Heffs. My wife doesn't like them, so the Beer stays in the kegerator that much longer. Selfish bastard I am, Yes (in my best Yoda impersonation)?

Back