Carbing Keg with priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjjohnson

Reaction score
Ok, so if I can priming sugar to my corny and it carbs with in two weeks, can I just hook up a hose a pour myself a glass of beer? Or do I need the Co2 tank,hoses, regulator and tap? What the defference between the two...natural carbing and force carbing? Thank you.:mug:

Yeah you can just pull yourself a pint. Natural carbing a tank has a few probs, lag time, yeast sediment. risking under/over carbing.

Yes, you need the tank, hoses, and regulator. You need CO2 to purge and seal the keg as well as push the beer out. You also can figure on discarding the first pint due to yeast but after that ours is crystal clear.

I've always natural carbed kegs and I've never had a problem with under or over carbonation.

And, my answer will be between those two! You can either force carb or prime it, and then pull a pint. The issue will then be that you need something to "push" the beer out. Think of those kegs you rent from the party store- they use air via hand pumps to pump out the beer. You can buy something called a co2 charger and use it to push the beer. It's like a little gun that gives a shot of co2 into the keg. It's not a cheap way to do it, and you can't carbonate with it (so you'd have to prime the keg) but it would push the beer.

A newbie question-

You can carb your beer in a keg with priming sugar and just use CO2 to pull it out. You don't need to always force carb?

I don't think I've ever forced carbonated. Usually we kegged a month or two ahead of when we need it. We add the sugar, rack into keg, pressurize it, and set it aside to age. I have always used a little CO2 to ensure the seal was tight so I can't speak how well it works without doing that.

Those little CO2 cartridge guns work great for pushing the beer out. Very handy to take to parties without hauling the tank and hoses.

Thats exactly the answer I am loking for! I want to be able to plan a party and be able to take a keg of beer to it. There is no way I have the space, time, or money to have/build a complete kegging system.

Back