Hydrometer before or after secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm almost ready to move my Irish Mocha Stout (recipe to be posted here and on my blog soon) to the secondary where I will be adding cocoa and cold-brewed espresso.

In order to get an accurate ABV measurement, should I take an SG reading before the additives go in or right before bottling?

Thanks!

Right before bottling and before priming sugar is added. That said, the espresso will dilute the ABV slightly and the cocoa will raise the gravity slightly, and it's going to be pretty close either way.

So, with the additives, it won't be possible to get an exact measurement, but I should be close?

Close enough. As was stated, the two offsets are small and opposing. That should have minimal impact on your readings.

the only effect those additives will have on you readings is the extra volume from the espresso. just take it before, assuming its around a cup added, it'll barely change your ABV

The beer needs to be at final gravity BEFORE you rack to secondary so any changes should not be associated with further fermentation.

Verify FG and rack. Add your additives in secondary. Take an fG after secondary and if there is any change you will know it came from your additives and Canaletto note of it when you brew it again. As stated it will only be a volume related change.

Back