Help with chocolate milk stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlezracer

Reaction score
I am getting ready to bottle my second beer. Its a chocolate milk stout from NB. was wondering how much priming sugar I should use? This is a 5 gallon batch. Thanks

About 3.5 ounces of corn sugar in a 5 gallon batch will be about "correct for the style" in a stout. This results in a fairly low carbonation level. I actually prefer slightly higher than "normal" carbonation in my stouts. If I was brewing it I would probably use about 4 to 4.5 ounces of corn sugar for priming. Or you can use the calculator and figure out the carbonation level that you prefer for your brew.

I usually go with around 4 for this style.....Use a calculator though. Carb depends on temperature you fermented at as well so it is not quite cut and dry

I usually go with around 4 for this style.....Use a calculator though. Carb depends on temperature you fermented at as well so it is not quite cut and dry

This.

I brewed this beer over the winter as an AG BIAB. Added Lindt 100% cacao to the boil at 15mins and 2tbs madigascar vanilla at 0. The keg kicked last week to the dismay of all. This particular beer, as the AG I brewed needed a bit more carbonation than style dictated. I keg, so I could make that adjustment as it conditioned in the keg. Think a little high for style on this one.

I find the suggested "to style" carb levels are really only good on tap. If you're bottling your beer, you don't want to go below 2 volumes, and I prefer the "standard" of 2.5 even on typically low carb beers (when bottled).

I find the suggested "to style" carb levels are really only good on tap. If you're bottling your beer, you don't want to go below 2 volumes, and I prefer the "standard" of 2.5 even on typically low carb beers (when bottled).

I guess I should have clarified this... Thanks for making my point. I do not keg, I still only bottle. I guess that is why I prefer slightly higher than "normal" carb in my stouts. I can see where kegged beer would probably be better with the "correct" carb level.

Back