Hydrometer reading.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkut

Reaction score
Hello, its me again lol.

Just measured my second batch of mead and the hydrometer has sank, got my first reading over a month ago, but now its not possible to read the second reading.y

Got the hydrometer from a small local brew shop, he sold me one without a jar and told me to just drop it directly into the demijohn and told me I would have no problems.

Have I made a mistake or have I made a super strength mead?

If it really sank, it was defective. Get another one.

And no, don't drop it directly into the demijohn. Get a test jar, or test tube, whatever. And check the calibration with plain water first, if only for the practice.

What is the min and max reading? You might have a finishing hydrometer.

Well the HBS bloke was sort of right, but when you use the DJ, it can be a bit of a twat to get it out if you don't put some string or something carefully (and sanitised) round the top.
If a small bit of it is showing above the liquid, then its probably ok, if not, then the bottom part might have cracked (not bounced on the bottom).

The others are of course, correct. That its better/safer/easier to use a test jar/tube. Mine is one of the 100ml plastic ones.

You need to work out whether its broken or not, so you can work out whether you need to get it out of the DJ or not. If intact, it can be left, if broken id suggest that it needs to come out. Any broken glass will stay behind in the DJ during racking etc.

Was listening to the cider show on the brewing network the other day and the expert was talking about he likes his cider to finish at -5 brix...which is lower than a standard hydrometer will go. That would be my guess on what happened in your situation.

I use the plastic tube that the hydrometer came in. Uses the minimum amount of liquid to float the hydrometer. The LHBS suggested this to me.
Some the hydrometers I've used actually have a cap that can be used on the other end of the tube container which helps it to be steadier than it might otherwise be. But yes, I've done that as well......

Wouldn't the weight of the 'string or something' affect the hydro reading?
No, not if it's light weight stuff and you allow enough slack so that the hydrometer has a free run of movement.

regards

fatbloke

Back