Anderson Valley ESB Clone Wanted - Boont Extra Special Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chapa

Reaction score
This is the BEST ESB I have ever had!! Great earthy/spicy hop flavor and aroma, with a very smooth, full flavored mouthfeel!

I've never made an ESB, so of course a basic recipe would be a good start, but has anyone tried to clone this, or have any ideas on putting it together?

I've read that regulating fermentation temps are important when making an ESB. General advice on brewing an ESB would also be appreciated.

Here is everything from their site. Doesn't give much, except the 6.8% ABV, 61 IBU and that it has a spicy hop aroma.

Contact Information
Anderson Valley Brewing Company
P.O. Box 505 - 17700 Hwy 253
Boonville, CA 95415-0505

Phone: (707) 895-BEER
Toll-free: (800) 207-BEER
Fax: (707) 895-2353

Support Your Local Brewery

Boont Extra Special Beer

“I’ve had bitter from 11 different countries, countless varieties from each, but lo and behold I’ve found the perfect bitter right here at home.”
Joshua M. Knowles – Point Richmond, Ca

Boont ESB (formerly Belk’s ESB)
Exceptionally Great; something special
Celebrator Beer News Blind Tasting Panel – Oct. / Nov 2004

The abundant hopping in this four-time gold medal winner, creates arousing aromatics, accompanied by a pleasantly bitter bite. Boont Extra Special Beer is deep gold in color, with a spicy hop aroma. Starts with a big, malty backbone and finishes with a refreshingly bitter bite. Boont Extra Special Beer is excellent alone or as an accompaniment to your favorite well-seasoned meals (such as Mexican, Korean, Chinese, Indian, or Thai, cuisine).

Boont ESB was named the Regional Champion in the 2003 US Beer Tasting Championships, in the Bitter/ESB category, has won two Gold Medals at the Great American Beer Festival, and has several other medals, as well. Click here to see the entire list.

As with all of our products, Boont ESB is never sterile filtered nor heat pasteurized, and should be stored in refrigeration. However, to fully enjoy its rich and complex flavor, it should be served between 40° and 45°F

6.8 % Alcohol by Volume
61 IBU
“It’s aplenty bahl steinber horn.”

Hopefully you can get some info from them tomorrow, and we can piece something together. I'd really like to try making this in the next month or two, once we get a basis for a recipe.

I wish I lived by the brewery! I always feel like they will be much more responsive and willing to indulge more info if you meet them in person. However, they don't usually have the recipe on hand, where as if you contact by email, they may be able to respond more accurately.

Well, I called today and spoke to the receptionist asking if there was anyone willing to talk to me about there esb. Her first question was why? I told her I was a homebrewer and was looking to replicate the recipe. She told me good luck in that. She wasn't rude, just obviously not allowed to share the recipe. I had sent then an email two weeks ago about there ipa with no response. That too bad. I just don't understand the need to be so secretive.

Yeah, I figured they might not be so helpful over the phone/email. Hopefully someone that lives close by, can catch the brewer someday and pick their brain!

Been to the brewery... they're pretty secretive (almost defensive) about their recipes. I asked one of their brewers about the hopping of the ESB after a brewery tour and several pints in the tap room, and didn't get much more than a smirk.

For what its worth, the bottle says 4 hop additions of northwest hops but other than that all it says is malted grain and local water. All right, get to it, or as mentioned. Let's start emailing jamil to do a cybi episode of this :)

Just listened to the BN Can you brew it? They talked about Boont Amber, not the ESB. They felt it was cloned!
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/archive/cybi03-28-11.mp3
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/739

When time allows I'll put into BeerSmith
short version
OG Confusion here? thought he said 13???
FG .025
IBUs 15-17
ABV 5.4
mash 152F
Hard water
2row 80%
40 Caramel(crystal) 10%
80 Caramel 10%
Magnum (90min)
Horizon (60 min)
Cluster or Palisade (whirlpool/end of boil)
Cascade (hopback) (dry hop if you can't hopback but it will be different)

yeast either Fullers, Whitbread or Youngs

SG is 1.058, he was talking plato 13 and he might have been talking plato for the FG which might be 2.5 and not .025 this is kinda low though

Cool, just downloaded it, thanks!

(Did they happen to mention the 2-row maltster they go with?)

I believe it was Great Western 2 row.

I plugged the recipe into beersmith but IBUs don't match. I seem to get a lower reading from the mash hops. I'll play around some more.

Back