FG measurement...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach9

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, someone tell me how far off base I am with this. OG reading was 1.050, current reading which has not changed over the past few days is sitting at 1.024. Estimated final should be around 14. I suspect cooler temps played a part (around 60f). I guess what I'm getting at is what direction should I go now? Thanks in advance for any advice.

On a side note...after about a week, I did move it into a consistent 70 degrees. Held there by a Love controller and ceramic heating bulb. Did drop slightly but now sits consistent at 1.024

That's not a useful response, and if you're not going to post a useful response, don't post at all, in my opinion.

You have a few options here... you can move the fermenter to a warmer place and see if it takes off, move it to a warmer place and repitch yeast, or go with it, on how it is.

That FG is too high though, and you will probably end up with an overly sweet beer with a low ABV.

Upto you though!

there are quite a few variables to consider here. what was the recipe first of all? was it all grain or extract? how long has it been fermenting for? if this is an all grain recipe what did you mash at? mashing too high may give you extra unfermentables. If this was an extract recipe you might be close at 1.024 as most extract brewers find that a lot of there brews end at 1.020 due to carmelization of the extract giving more unfermentables.

How long has it been fermenting? You may just need to move it warmer and give it some more time. Yeast easily go dormant around 60 degrees and sometimes can be a PITA to get back going. I typically dont mess with my beers until they have been fermenting for at least 4 weeks. This give the yeast plenty of time to eat and clean up after themselves plus the added benefit of clearer beer as the yeast cake and trub will be very compact.

we need more info

It is a nut brown using LME with steeped grain. Been fermenting two weeks. was moved into a consistent 70 degrees at about a week. And im confident now the earlier low temps have put me in this bind. When you say warmer are you suggesting higher than 70?

i wouldnt go higher than 70. may want to also give the carboy a gentle swirl to rouse up some of the yeast to help get things going too.

1.024 may not be that far off, knowing you did an extract recipe. It would help if you could list your complete recipe with steeping temp/time etc.
The 60F may have also helped the yeast to floculate prematurely, leaving some fermentables behind, in which case you could try to gently swirl the fermenter to bring the yeast into suspension + leave it at 70F.

If this was an extract recipe you might be close at 1.024 as most extract brewers find that a lot of there brews end at 1.020 due to carmelization of the extract giving more unfermentables.

1.024 may not be that far off, knowing you did an extract recipe. It would help if you could list your complete recipe with steeping temp/time etc.

Extract will ferment out to 75% with most decent yeasts. Yes you can do better with mashing at low temperatures, but extract still does a good job. I have no problems using extracts and getting 80%+ attenuation with good yeast.

From 1.050 to 1.024, it is not finished. Take it to a warmer location and try and rouse the yeast from the bottom a little and see if that does anything.

If the yeast had dropped due to cold, a brew belt might still not help if the yeast cake was in contact with a very cold surface. Need to get the whole thing warmed up.

I have had high final gravities a couple times with extract recipes. Both times it was with Dark LME. It may be done.

Have you calibrated your hydrometer? Did you taste the sample?

Reason I ask is that I broke mine several weeks ago. I bought a new one and the first time I used it I got a FG reading of 1.020 on a beer that I've brewed quite a few times and usually get around 1.015. I tasted the sample and it was just like normal, so I put the hydro in some tap water and let it equalize to room temp (62 F). It read 1.004. Give this a try and see. Also, taste your sample.

The hydrometer is good, gave a good reading initially and I checked it after my reading when it was higher than I suspected it should be. I did try to swirl but didn't get much suspension at the time, I'll try again when home and see what happens. As for tasting, I have not yet, but I suppose I should to see if I just want to leave it or keep messing with it. Thank you all for the input

I had an extract Stout w/grains the other week that had an 1.022 form a 1.058 OG and couldn't figure out what to do. I tatsed it and racked it after 3 weeks and it has truned out very well. It may be done and always I have learned something on here. I may have carmelized my DME in the boil.
:drunk:

On the same subject, I have another batch that went from 38 down to 09 in roughly 4 days, but, it was kept at a constant 68 degrees in line with the yeasts range.

Back