Any Canadians??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ottawa here, but I'll be moving to Portland, OR soon.

Think there'll be any microbreweries there?

-WW

I realize that you are more than likely kidding! In the event you are not I'll let you in on a little secret. It RAINS good beer in Portland.

I live just off the Drive. Five minutes from Dan's!

Damn, I should have put a call out to Vancouver brewers when I was livuing there last. I like Vancouver and I'm really a drive kid (even if it is being overtaken by yuppies). But the damn Olympics and the high rent... well I'm going to wait till the grand post Olympic rental crash...

Vancouver Olympics. Most mismanaged event ever.

I realize that you are more than likely kidding! In the event you are not I'll let you in on a little secret. It RAINS good beer in Portland.

Heheheh, yeah completely kidding. I think Wikipedia said that there are something like 25+ microbreweries just inside the city! Ridiculous. I've heard good things about the beer festival as well. Only bad thing is that slightly high (again kidding) 1900% beer tax!!!

Another British Columbia brewer here! Was in Vancouver until a month ago. Now I'm in Kamloops.

Denny, is there a homebrew shop in Kelowna or Vernon? I'm dying out here! Luckily I'll be driving past Gambrinus for the next couple months.

There's kinda one on vernon. They don't sell much as they are primarily a ubrew.

What are you looking for?

Specialty grains... hoses (different sizes, silicone as well as vinyl), airlocks, carboys, sanitizer, corn sugar, bottle caps, hops, yeast (do they have wyeast?), DME

Did I miss anything? What's the place called? I'm in Vernon a lot these days.

I need to get ahold of Jack at freddys brewpub in kelowna, but he sometimes will sell you hops and grains. Also there is a brewpub in salmon arm. Try asking there brewer.

Otherwise it's mostly mail order. I have a source for wholesale hops and yeast (dry) but it's 5lb bags of hops. Might be into splitting on an order though. There's another HBT'er in Vernon who might be into splitting an order between the three of us.

Im from Toronto Ontario, but going to school in Fredericton New Brunswick!

Hmmmm.... Chupacabras is going to school this fall in Freddytown.

I'm from Heart's Delight Newfoundland myself, but am living very close to Chupacabras and IIRC he needs to drop by to pick up some of his bottles and to have a tasting before he goes. He will be meeting a few fellow M.o.B. members while up there AFAIK also. Perhaps he'll make the New Brunswick Big Strange Brew next year.

Any Canadians on this forum?

I mean, this IS a beer forum, there MUST be some fellow Canadians. We do, after all, consider beer drinking to be a professional sport. After all, you can't watch hockey in your igloo without beer...EH? ;P

Anyone know about shipping beer from Canada to the US??
I want to enter a beer in a US competition eventually, once it has aged (and if I hide it so I keep my hands off it. haha).

I am sorta , I live in Washington next to border, have resident statues and spend half my time in Squamish at Girlfriends. Dont bother trying to cross border shipping. You will need to drive it across border and lie to UPS,USPS, or Fedex about what is in box you are shipping. Tell Customs you have the beer or whatever you are bringing in.
There is a shop in Abbortsford called Cork and Cap and another Micro brew called Clearwater Brewery . Between the 2, I get all the supplies I need.

I love that this thread started in 2005...

I am in Newfoundland...

Out of curiousity, has anyone bought bulk hops and shipped to Canada? From where and how much did it cost you... haven't even started AG, but the hops seem to be the worst $$ for me so far...

I guess I'll help add a few breaths to this thread as well.

I'm in Eastern Ontario. Close to Avonmore to be precise. About 45 minutes Southeast of Ottawa, about an hour from Montreal.

I thought my google-fu was pretty good, but there are southern ontario grain suppliers listed here that I couldn't find online. Thanks, guys :)

BTW, I'm in Hamilton.

Gilbertson and Page is in fergus ontario. The SOB's (Southern Ontario Brewers) do group buys about every 6 months. I'm in hamilton too :)

BrewTime has an OK selection of grains a little pricey but not unreasonable $55 for a sack of 2-row(they only have crushed)

I love that this thread started in 2005...

I am in Newfoundland...

Out of curiousity, has anyone bought bulk hops and shipped to Canada? From where and how much did it cost you... haven't even started AG, but the hops seem to be the worst $$ for me so far...

I've ordered from Hops Direct. I paid $30 to have 5 pounds of pellets shipped USPS to Ontario. It's definitely cheaper in the long run to buy in bulk if you plan on brewing a lot.

I am not a Canadian. My great grandfather was from Hamilton, Ontario. His last name was Spence. I am as the crow flies 15 miles from the border across the pond.

Gilbertson and Page is in fergus ontario. The SOB's (Southern Ontario Brewers) do group buys about every 6 months. I'm in hamilton too :)

BrewTime has an OK selection of grains a little pricey but not unreasonable $55 for a sack of 2-row(they only have crushed)
Today I joined facebook just to hook up with SOB and get in on some purchases in the future. I'm just starting out, though, and it may be another week or two before I brew my first batch. (Probably an APA with extract.)

I've checked out Brew Time already, and I'll get my supplies there at least to start with. Do you know anywhere better than here to get a good-quality brew pot locally? I think I want a 32-qt aluminum stockpot that I can use (insulated) on an electric stovetop.

I'm looking forward to getting started :)

Today I joined facebook just to hook up with SOB and get in on some purchases in the future. I'm just starting out, though, and it may be another week or two before I brew my first batch. (Probably an APA with extract.)

I've checked out Brew Time already, and I'll get my supplies there at least to start with. Do you know anywhere better than here to get a good-quality brew pot locally? I think I want a 32-qt aluminum stockpot that I can use (insulated) on an electric stovetop.

If you have a glass-top electric stove it might be difficult to boil even 5 gallons. My Jenn-Air will barely bring 5 gallons of water to a gentle boil.

A lot of people pick up a turkey fryer for brewing. Should be somewhere around your area to check those out. Also your link is to aluminum pots; they seem to work fine but some people do prefer stainless. Lastly, if you have a good discount homeware store around, that might be a good place to look. I see Hamilton has a HomeSense; I bought a 22 quart stainless pot there for what I thought was a good price.

If you have a glass-top electric stove it might be difficult to boil even 5 gallons. My Jenn-Air will barely bring 5 gallons of water to a gentle boil.
I have an old-school electric stove. I figure that with insulation and possibly a supplementary 1500W heat stick, I'll be able to control boils well enough.

osagedr said:
A lot of people pick up a turkey fryer for brewing. Should be somewhere around your area to check those out. Also your link is to aluminum pots; they seem to work fine but some people do prefer stainless.
There are stainless pots on that page further down, but they don't have the right size. (Wouldn't 27-qt be a bit too small for 5-gal boils?) A restaurant-quality aluminum pot would probably last forever as well. I really have to get down there and see them for myself, though.

As for the turkey fryer, I was thinking that eventually I'd get a propane burner, so I'd end up with a higher-quality equivalent, with a sturdier pot and more BTUs on the burner. Yes, not the cheap way, but I want a pot that also won't scorch the wort on an electric burner.

Haha so what, is this the whole mentality that if someone is from canada then "hey you must know so-and-so" :mug:
That reminds me of when I was in Reykjavik in 1971. Everyone wanted to practice their English on me, and one guy asked, "You're from Canada? Do you know Frank Zappa?"

Well, it was funny at the time :p

Now I have another person I need to get together to brew with.

I've never been there so I can't comment on them. I usually go to niagara restaurant supply in st catharines. I'd also recommend the turkey fryer I picked mine up for $50 at canadian tire last year. if your going the stovetop route you may want to consider 2 smaller pots and do a split boil to save a little time.

The guys at brewtime are good guys. They have started to really scale back the ingredients they stock lately though. Fortunately the SOB's have kept me well stocked with grains. Are you Adam from the gain buy post on the SOB list?

Now I have another person I need to get together to brew with.
Sure, but I'm still pretty clueless at this point :)

jspence1 said:
if your going the stovetop route you may want to consider 2 smaller pots and do a split boil to save a little time.
I think I can make it work by insulating the pot, but we'll see how it goes. I also expect to get a propane burner sooner or later, but I'd rather stay inside during winter. I guess it's a matter of weighing slower boils against winter weather. I'll need to experience a few brew days to decide what my preferences are.

jspence1 said:
The guys at brewtime are good guys. They have started to really scale back the ingredients they stock lately though. Fortunately the SOB's have kept me well stocked with grains. Are you Adam from the gain buy post on the SOB list?
No, I haven't joined the mailing list yet, just the facebook group and the forum. I'm sorry that Brew Time is cutting back on brewing supplies. It does seem as if everyone wants to make wine, but wine gives me headaches and cotton mouth. Beer just makes me fat and happy :mug:

What you need to do is go to st catharines and experience steve's famous propane burner in the kitchen brewing system. I've been to a couple.

Just noticed this thread now. I am from st catharines, and make cider and started doing beer recently. Are there any good lhbs around here for hops? seems to be the only thing i am having problems finding localy.

You are out of luck as far as I'm aware. I tried to get hops there once and found nothing. You can come to brewtime in hamilton they have a good selection of hops. they are on the expensive side all in the $5-$6 range for 50g. I just bulk order from hops direct.

thanks man its really sad that there isnt a good lhbs around here. I have been going to Niagara Tradition Hombrew store lately. They have a good selection, but i wanted a canadian place. I will definetly check that place in hamilton next time i need some i think.

From Oshawa here...

Homebrew-supplies.ca is by far the best source in Southern Ontario. they have the best selection and fastest delivery IMO. The also just got wooden Casks!

You can arrange local pick up as well. Might be good for you being in the Hammer....for me shipping is more worth it but you can save about $12 picking it up.

yea homebrew-supplies.ca is pretty awesome. I live in brampton some of the year, and its awesome being able to just pick up locally. Its not a shop front though, you go to the guys house, which sketched me out the first time, but hes a nice guy. I also like how they accept paypal since I dont have a credit card

yeah it's the dudes house... but I'm pretty sure he's doing some amazing business. I'm wondering why he doesn't open up a store front now that it seems the business is rolling.

In either case I've never had a complaint.

Big up to the Hamiltonians! I say we rock a "Hammer gets Hammered" and brew up a huge batch all together.

Back