Keezer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomersooner

Reaction score
Those of you that are using a freezer as a keg storage device. When you build your collar around the top of the freezer for your taps, how are you securing it to the freezer? I have thought of some super strength glue and i don't want to go drilling any holes in it. It cant just be resting on the top of the freezer without being secured someway.

Thanks
Jared

+1 on not drilling holes in the freezer. I attached my collar to the lid using a construction adhesive such as liquid nails. I also used bathroom and kitchen caulk to seal the inside seams, even though I could see no light through them, just in case there was a draft. The collar is made of a sandwhich of two pieces of quarter inch masonite surrounding one inch foam insulation. This makes for a lighter collar than TWO-BY lumber. If you attach the collar to the main body of the freezer, you'll have to lift the kegs higher and risk banging your taps with them.

EDIT: Click on my gallery to see the pics. The seal is the original which I stapled to rock maple strip which lines the bottom of the collar. The blocks on the back of the collar are to provide backing for reattaching the hinges. It balances pretty well in the open position but you are still asking the hinges to do extra work and the foam core of the collar doesn't provide much support for screws.

I attached my collar to the lid, it keeps the taps and lines out of your way when putting in or taking out kegs. Check out BobbyM's videos.

Thanks guys just a few more questions. For perlick faucet's what size hole saw should I use? Also if I attach my collar to the lid do i have to replace the seal that come factory attached to the lid? If so I would juts place it on the freezer correct?

Thanks guys just a few more questions. For perlick faucet's what size hole saw should I use? Also if I attach my collar to the lid do i have to replace the seal that come factory attached to the lid? If so I would juts place it on the freezer correct?

I believe the hole is 7/8". I was able to pop the existing seal off the lid (it was held on with plastic snaps) and using a staple gun, fasten it to the collar. If all else fails, you can pickup rolls of door seal from Home Despot.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/PERLICK_FORWARD_SEAL_FAUCET_WI_P1476C65.cfm

Latest posts

Back