Did I make jello in my wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnoswald

Reaction score
I brewed up a new one yesterday:
9 lbs American 2 row (Muntons) and 1/2 lbs chocolate (Muntons),
mashed (very thick) at 128°F for 30 min,
raised to 152°F with 180°F infusion and held 1 hr.
Started the run off using my newly fabbed 18" stainless steel braided sheath - worked great!
After clearing, I started collecting in my wort kettle and began to heat it up to prepare for the boil down (while sparging continued). After ~5 gal run off, I turned up the heat to get it boiling but noticed floating blobs in the wort. I scooped these floater out and they looked like jello, but brown like Thanksgiving gravy when it cools down.
What was this stuff?
I have been doing a protien rest on previous batches with this malt, but skipped it on this batch to increase the head retention and body. Was the jello coagulated protien?

johnoswald said:
...mashed (very thick) at 128°F for 30 min...
...I have been doing a protien rest on previous batches with this malt, but skipped it on this batch...
:confused: Looks like you did do a protein rest? In any case, I would guess that the blobs were indeed protein/break material.

Back