Old Rasputin Clone Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewbeliever

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, all! This recipe turned out great! It tastes almost identical to Old Rasputin... super hoppy, chocolatey, and delicious. I've got a good friend named Vasily who is very Russian and has a huge beard, so I decided to call it "Old Vasily's Russian Imperial Stout." Below is the beer label I made and the recipe!

Old+Vasily+Label_jpg.png

Old Vasily Imperial Stout

Style: Imperial Stout OG: 1.090
Type: Partial Mash FG: 1.021
Rating: 4.0 ABV: 9.04 %
Calories: 293 IBU's: 80.08
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 5.57 Gal
Color: 40.1 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 7 days @ 68.0°F
Secondary 14 days @ 68.0°F
Bottle/Keg 38 days @ 75.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name
11.00 lbs 77.19 % Pale Liquid Extract
1.00 lbs 7.02 % Crisp Crystal Extra Dark 120L
1.00 lbs 7.02 % Carastan Malt - 30L
0.50 lbs 3.51 % Chocolate Malt
0.50 lbs 3.51 % Brown Malt
4.00 ozs 1.75 % Black Barley (Stout)

Hops
Amount Name Time AA %
3.00 ozs Centennial 60 mins 10.00
1.00 ozs Centennial 5 mins 10.00
1.00 ozs Northern Brewer 5 mins 8.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg California Ale White Labs 0001

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.00 tsp Irish Moss 15 mins Boil

Carbonation
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
4.62 oz Corn Sugar - Bottle Carbonation 75.0°F 2.50

Notes
Soak specialty grains for 30 minutes in 160-165 degree water. Rinse with 170 degree water.

Once the beer is carbonated to your liking, drink and enjoy, or cellar it for a while! This beer ages quite well.

I'm brewing a very similar one right now. It is in the secondary right now. I used 12 lbs of Pilsen light LME, same steeping grains and two oz of galena hops for the boil. I also used safale us 5 yeast. I am anxious to see how it turns out. I just wish I could put it on nitro:)

johnwalker987 said:
I'm brewing a very similar one right now. It is in the secondary right now. I used 12 lbs of Pilsen light LME, same steeping grains and two oz of galena hops for the boil. I also used safale us 5 yeast. I am anxious to see how it turns out. I just wish I could put it on nitro:)

Ahhh, I hear you. It'd be so nice to have a nitro tap... I eventually will get one on my kegerator and get a beer gas tank. Let me know how your beer turns out!

How did it turn out once carbonated? Seems like a lot of corn sugar for a 5 gallon RIS.

Looks like a great recipe that I am definitely trying soon! I do have a question though (noob question alert). The 38 day aging in the keg...would that be under serving pressure throughout that time? If so, why the 75 degree temp since I was under the impression that was for yeast activity in bottle conditioning? Thanks for the help.

micahnormal said:
Looks like a great recipe that I am definitely trying soon! I do have a question though (noob question alert). The 38 day aging in the keg...would that be under serving pressure throughout that time? If so, why the 75 degree temp since I was under the impression that was for yeast activity in bottle conditioning? Thanks for the help.

Not a noob question at all, and a great thing to notice! It was actually a mistake on my part. That should say 40*F temp, not 75*F! You are right in that the 75 degree temp is for bottle conditioning, and I just forgot to change it to 40 degrees.

Hi Folks,

I just wanted to pass this bit of info along from Northcoast Asst. Head Brewer Ken Kelly:

"Most people will have a hard time believing this but we carbonate the Old Rasputin up to 3.0 It is such a full bodied beer we feel this level of carbonation makes it a less cloying more drinkable product, we hope you agree."

OnceinDC said:
Hi Folks,

I just wanted to pass this bit of info along from Northcoast Asst. Head Brewer Ken Kelly:

"Most people will have a hard time believing this but we carbonate the Old Rasputin up to 3.0 It is such a full bodied beer we feel this level of carbonation makes it a less cloying more drinkable product, we hope you agree."

Thanks for the info! It makes sense, to be honest. My clone certainly wasn't 3.0 vols, but it was still pretty high, and I felt that it really helped with the overall body and flavor of the beer as well.

So, I definitely rolled with the BYO extract recipe today and the OG came in around 1.073....pretty displeased at the moment. Going to order up the grains for the Old Vasily recipe and give that a shot. Is it possible to pull that off using a 3-4 gallon boil and then topping it off up to 5?

OnceinDC said:
So, I definitely rolled with the BYO extract recipe today and the OG came in around 1.073....pretty displeased at the moment. Going to order up the grains for the Old Vasily recipe and give that a shot. Is it possible to pull that off using a 3-4 gallon boil and then topping it off up to 5?

Yeah, I think its possible, but just be careful to not scorch your wort!

Back