Dry hopping with 4 oz of East Kent Goldings too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurlyBrew

Reaction score
Any thoughts on this? I tried the remnants of a hydrometer test and it tastes very different than I was expecting. It has some what of a chocolate after taste, really having a hard time putting my finger on it. Its in the bottle now so we will see how it tastes once its carbonated. Never used EKG before. Any experience with it. I used first gold for the bittering and EKG for everything else. Its an English IPA. My first all grain.

What size batch was it? EKG is very earthy, you may be tasting a resin of the hop, wow 4 oz....

I've never used that much in a dryhop, but it should fade a bit. EKG is sort of earthy, a bit floral, but not over the top. That's a lot of dryhops, though, so I"m not sure what to expect.

My original plan was to do 2 oz, then was persuaded by northern brewer employees to try 3-4 oz. I regret following through with it, but I like dry hopping so I figured I'd give it a try. I've dry hopped with 8.5 ounces in the surly furious and it tasted awesome. The earthiness of the EKG may be throwing my taste buds off a bit. Its a very weird taste, had a hard time putting my finger on it.

I love EKG hops. I've used them in both English and Belgian styles. But I tend toward enjoying the earthy end of the hop spectrum. If you typically are more interested in the citrusy, fruity end of the hop spectrum (maybe that spectrum is more than just linear), then the EKG might not quite hit the spot for you.

Also, the whole hop-bursting, ultra-dry-hopped thing is much more related to American Pales and IPAs than English styles. If that's the direction you wanted to go, an American hop might've been a better fit.

So the beer is carbed up and... It has a sweet, biscuit and caramel malt flavor, with an intense earthy aroma, mild citrus, and a slight hint of tobacco. A very interesting beer none the least. I think with time, this beer will come around nicely. I called it the Brummy IPA, after the year I spent living in Birmingham, England. The name is fitting.

Back