An Honest Question for You Brewers on here...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stat quo

Reaction score
have you ever brewed anything that was, unbiasedly, better than newcastle?

not to insult your brewing skills. just a question out of curiosity, you know... :eek:

btw, im not trying to make newcastle the "standard" of all beers...just asking.

While this is a highly subjective question, I find Newcastle to be a 'good' beer at best...kind of a 'gateway' brown ale for beer neophytes to better brown ales. Not that I mind drinking it, however.

At this point I would take anything I brew over a Newcastle. Whether someone else would is up to them.

90% of the people here will tell you that they have made many batches that are better than newcastles. I'm sure they are telling what they believe to be the truth, but come on... we're talking about our own beer, special to us, and we are all a little biased to some extent. (Like with parents, who will ALL insist that THEIR children are the smartest/funniest/cutest/etc kids on the planet.)

That said, newcastles is a 'decent' beer, and I honestly think that EVERYONE here can make beer better than that on a regular basis.

-walker

Walker said:
90% of the people here will tell you that they have made many batches that are better than newcastles. I'm sure they are telling what they believe to be the truth, but come on... we're talking about our own beer, special to us, and we are all a little biased to some extent. (Like with parents, who will ALL insist that THEIR children are the smartest/funniest/cutest/etc kids on the planet.)

That said, newcastles is a 'decent' beer, and I honestly think that EVERYONE here can make beer better than that on a regular basis.

-walker

good point. :p

it's funny you specifically mentioned newcastles, though.

My most recent batch of brown ale was very disappointing to me; drinkable, but boring. My actual words when I drank my first pint were, "That tastes like Newcastles.... bummer."

Not that I dislike newcastles... I just always expect more from my own craft.

-walker

I'm pretty sure that you'll find you can make brews you like and prefer over others that you purchase and others that miss the mark. Don't base your outcome on something you buy/like and think you'll replicate it. Judge it on its own per style.

Just for me, the Brown Ale is the bugger I can't seem to make to my liking. I've tried kits, AG (multiple recipes), whatever I just can't get something that I'm happy with. My Porter, Belgium Wit, Pale, IPA, Apricot wheat all are great IMO and I'd stack them up against my local brewpubs. This darn brown I'm about to forget about trying to brew and no its not better than a Newcastle which I personally like.

Not to blow my own trumpet (wish I could) or any one elses.

But I reckon anyone on here can brew better Ale than me. I'm still doing extract.
Since brewing my own I really do not like it if I have to go to the pub orbuy shop bought . I have not tasted anything from the pub that matches the stuff I can brew.
Some of the shop bought bottle conditioned stuff is better and I'll still drink it.
I went to a beer festival last week (In a pub) but left after 5 half pints because my stuff at home had more appeal.

desertBrew said:
I'm pretty sure that you'll find you can make brews you like and prefer over others that you purchase and others that miss the mark. Don't base your outcome on something you buy/like and think you'll replicate it. Judge it on its own per style.

Just for me, the Brown Ale is the bugger I can't seem to make to my liking. I've tried kits, AG (multiple recipes), whatever I just can't get something that I'm happy with. My Porter, Belgium Wit, Pale, IPA, Apricot wheat all are great IMO and I'd stack them up against my local brewpubs. This darn brown I'm about to forget about trying to brew and no its not better than a Newcastle which I personally like.
try this brown, it rocks!

Big Brown Dog Ale
10 lbs. domestic 2-row
0.5 lbs. Special B Malt
0.5 lbs. Medium Crystal Malt
0.5 lbs. Chocolate Malt
0.25 lbs. Chocolate Wheat Malt (Dark Wheat Malt)
1 oz. Cascade @ 70 min
2/3 oz. Willamette @ 20 min
1/3 oz. Willamette @ 0 min
1300 ml starter of WLPOO1 California Ale yeast
og 1.057 IBU's 30.5 SRM 35
mash in @ 153 for 60 minutes, sparge w/ cenough water @ 170 to collect enough wort for 5.5 end boil volume. Boil for 90 min.
primary @ 68 degrees. rack to secondary and crash to 32 degrees for 7 days (if possible). keg or prime w/ 3/4 cups priming sugar and bottle.
you don't have to make a starter but i highly suggest one.
give it a whirl!

I've never been a huge fan of Newcastles... So its safe to say that I've brewed many batches that I think are better. I can also say that I've never found an Oatmeal stout that I like any better than my own. There are many that are just as good, but not better. Everyone's taste is different, and brewing companies have certain advantages, but we as homebrewers have some as well.

stat quo said:
have you ever brewed anything that was, unbiasedly, better than newcastle?
I don't know how everyone else feels, but if you couldn't brew it better than the commercial guys (or at least strive for that), then what would be the point of brewing it at all?

Okay, I'll chime in here...

I like Newcastle. Its 10 times better than most of the regular fare sold in most bars and restaurants. Brown ales arent really exciting, but can be tasty. But, Ive brewed better beers than Newcastle.

Newcastle on draught is great, but you have to be at a Renaissance Faire with all of the dust, hay & horses to really bring out the flavors. It just isn't the same in a bar or bottle. Conceptually, Newcastle is the forerunner of my Church of Chocolate Brown. A little like Newcastle, but better.

andre the giant said:
I've never been a huge fan of Newcastles... So its safe to say that I've brewed many batches that I think are better. I can also say that I've never found an Oatmeal stout that I like any better than my own. There are many that are just as good, but not better. Everyone's taste is different, and brewing companies have certain advantages, but we as homebrewers have some as well.

My thoughts are the same as Andre's. Even while in the UK, I prefered Green King IPA or Youngers Tartan over Newcastle. Yes, I can honestly say that my own brews of Scottish ale are better than bottled or draft Newcastle.

Walker said:
I honestly think that EVERYONE here can make beer better than that on a regular basis.

I retract this statement. I had forgotten about this kid. :)

I wonder if he eventually did blind himself with that stuff?

-walker

Walker said:

-walker

I wouldn't say my kids are the "smartest/funniest/cutest/etc on the planet", I'll be modest and say the United States.

By the way, "Makingitgood" always won the "see who can hold their breath the longest" contest as a kid.

I will be the first to say, I was a Miller Lite guy up until a month ago. I had a Newcastle and then started Home Brewing. I have had good luck so far, and most of my equipment was from people who used to brew. I made a Brown Ale for the first batch, my thoughts were this taste like the Newcastle I had when I started home brewing but a little smoother. I had all my freinds try the first batch, I only had one guy stop after the second glass. I love the art of brewing, I find it is like any hobbie. You try things and hope to improve the things you know. I figure I have nothing to loose but a little money, and everything to gain like good cold beer.

Another Miller guy here (I live in Milwaukee, I dont think we have a choice about Miller . . . .I think Miller sends reps to the birthing rooms and hooks us b4 they even cut the cord here) but if I could get my hands around a Kilkenny (Smithwicks) I would take that in a heart beat . . . .and if my homebrew turns out as god as Kilkenny I dunno if I'll ever buy beer again.

The best thing about Newky is if I go in a pub and the beer is pants, I can always fall back on a chilled bottle of the stuff, It beats drinking crap flat watery beer any day.

I think the biggest point here is that we can all make beer that suits our tastes. I, personally, would like Newcastle more if it had a little more hoppiness to it. See, that's our thing. We can take a beer we like and make it better. We have the technology, we can rebuild it.

It's good to be the brewer!!

Back