boiling wort - won't recirc in pump!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slakwhere

Reaction score
so i've been reading about recirculating boiling wort in your hoses/pump for the last 15 minutes to sanitize them... i've given it a couple tries but i never seem to get very good flow. i even have a rough time getting the hose primed before connecting it to the pump. :confused:

My Setup:
-Keggle with side dip tube covered with SS scrubbie
-hop spider to hold the hops
-1/2" ball valves with camlocks
-march 809 pump

when i finally finish the brew i find a decent amount of crud in the SS scrubbie. is this hot break?

anyone have any recommendations on how to get the pump rolling during boil?

Turn the flame down a bit to just under a boil. 208 degree water kills stuff too and 15 minutes is overkill.......literally.

i even have a rough time getting the hose primed before connecting it to the pump. :confused:

Solve this first! How are your pumps oriented? How are those hoses attached? Clamp type - hose type, etc.?

I have no trouble running boiling wort through my pumps.

Solve this first! How are your pumps oriented? How are those hoses attached? Clamp type - hose type, etc.?

I have no trouble running boiling wort through my pumps.

this only happens at boiling. the rest of the time everything is perfect!

dip tube > 1/2" ball valve > 1/2" camlock > 1/2" camlock barb for hoses > hose > camlock barb

there's something about the fact that the liquid is actually BOILING that causes the issue. is it that it's boiling in the dip tube and causing bubbles?

yes, air is getting into your dip tube causing cavitation in the pump.

i dont think air even needs to be there.

if your water is at boiling temp, and your output has less resistance than your input, your pump will be PULLING on the boil kettle,not PUSHING wort to your fermenter/recirc-loop/chiller/etc.

at that temp, the water will boil under that slight 'vacuum', just like anywhere else: lab, mountaintop, coopers, muntons, etc.

air, entering the stream, does the same thing. so, yes check all your connections for airleaks.

but i agree, lower the heat a little. it will be safer for your pump and hoses too.

Back