Force Carb, bottle, then age

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jholloway77

Reaction score
I'm brewing a triple and planning on kegging it and then aging it for a few months. The problem is I have only one keg and I want to have another beer on tap as soon as possible. Is it possible for me to force carb the triple, blast out the sediment, bottle it (using the BMBF by the way) and then letting it condition in the bottles? Or does aging require the yeast and everything that's shot out from the bottem of the keg?

I want this beer to be clear and portable so kegging and then bottling would be great. I'm wondering if I should stop spending my money on Sammy Hagar albums and buy another keg just for aging.

Why not keg, put under minimal pressure then dispense to bottles.
Prime the bottles, then force the keg.

Or just split the batch if you want to bulk prime for the bottles.

homebrewing.org has kegs for $20 which is pretty hard to beat. I usually get at least two at a time from them because the cost to ship one and the cost to ship two is either the same or a couple bucks different, I forget. Plus like many have mentioned... you can't have too many kegs :) I have one set up with a shortened dip tube as a secondary which works beautifully. Just change the top and transfer under pressure to your serving keg.

Well I say to heck with all these naysayers. I think that is EXACTLY what I would do, myself. Keg and force carb to the desired level. Age, cold, in the keg for at least a week, to let the yeast drop out of suspension partially. Pull a pint to get rid of the yeast cake, then BMBF into bottles.

That's how I'll be doing the 09 Barleywine. (Even 10 kegs isn't enough for me!)

You could buy ME a Sammy Hagar album instead, if that money's gonna go to waste. ;) :D

I am under the understanding that natural carbing is better for aging. People have stored a couple of months from the BMBF with no ill effects, but I haven't heard about going a year.
If I were you, I'd transfer to a keg out of primary, blast with Co2 to fill headspace, then store to age. Then when it gets time for consumption, transfer it to a keg, cold crash and transfer.

I am under the understanding that natural carbing is better for aging. People have stored a couple of months from the BMBF with no ill effects, but I haven't heard about going a year.
If I were you, I'd transfer to a keg out of primary, blast with Co2 to fill headspace, then store to age. Then when it gets time for consumption, transfer it to a keg, cold crash and transfer.

I have some 1+ year old bottles lying around. They're fine.

As long as the beer was conditioned completely and there are no residual fermentables, there's no reason to expect that a properly carb'd beer will loose anything over time.

If the beer is not completely fermented out, raising the temperature when moving from a cold keg to a room temp bottle will cause the residual sugars to slowly be converted by the reawakened yeast.

homebrewing.org has kegs for $20 which is pretty hard to beat. I usually get at least two at a time from them because the cost to ship one and the cost to ship two is either the same or a couple bucks different, I forget. Plus like many have mentioned... you can't have too many kegs :) I have one set up with a shortened dip tube as a secondary which works beautifully. Just change the top and transfer under pressure to your serving keg.

I'm assuming these kegs are refurbs, but I was looking at the site and it had additions at the bottom so I was wondering does the base price include an o ring and disconnects?

They are not refurbs, but every one I've purchased (6) has held pressure and was very clean. If you're not happy, the owner (Chris?) will help to resolve your issues. In one case I got an old firestone that was beat up pretty good and didn't hold pressure. I sent an e-mail and got a response quickly giving me his personal cell phone number. The eventual solution was to replace the keg free of charge, plus I got to keep the original. Give 'em a shot. My guess is that you'll be satisfied unless you're extremely picky.

Ah I read it a bit more thoroughly this time through. Great find I'm about to get a couple even if they aren't refurbed. It's not really what's on the outside that matters to me, it's what I put inside!

Back