1st attempt at recipe help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Altwein

Reaction score
Im trying to clone a beer my Dad had over in England while visiting my sister last month... Its called Fullers Brewers Reserve and I can not find any recipes online, I do know it is basically a strong ale, so this is what I have come up with thus far. What should I do differently?
Thanks in advance

9.9lb Muntons Maris Otter LME
1lb 20L crystal malt
1lb 80L crystal malt, smoked
2oz chocolate malt
8oz wheat malt
1lb brown sugar
1oz Target
1oz Challenger
1oz Northdown
Wyeast 1968 London ESB

Just from a quick search, it looks like they age it in French oak-barrels (Armagnac, to be exact). You may want to consider a good secondary on oak chips/spirals. Without ever having it, can't really comment on flavor profile, etc.

That is quite a bit of crystal, I'm concerned this might be very sweet. I'm not sure whether the brown sugar is appropriate here either, I would personally lean more toward using more extract. The Fuller's version appears to be aged in cognac casks, so much of the flavor is imparted through the time spent aging on the wood.

So maybe take away the 1lb of 20L crystal and the brown sugar and add 3.3lbs of Munstons LME

13.2lbs Munstons LME
8oz 50L crystal malt
8oz 20L crystal malt
2oz chocolate malt
8oz wheat malt
1tsp irish moss

Maybe Ill just do the Fullers London Pride, I found a recipe for that...or just do a traditional strong ale... I don't think I can find cognac casks anywhere around here..lol

That would probably get you closer to what you want. I just realized that you have smoked malt listed - is that something you'll be doing on your own. Smoked malt goes a long way, 1lb might turn your beer into something VERY smoky flavored. Take a look through the smoked beer recipes on this site and check out how much smoked malt they use and what the ultimate flavor profile is. That should give you some indication of what quantities you would take away from it. In my opinion, smoked malt is out of place in a strong english ale.

based on other Fullers recipes I'd use 1 lb. crystal 50-60, but not knowing SRM it's hard to pin down how much chocolate to use. I assume it's a darker ale?

That would probably get you closer to what you want. I just realized that you have smoked malt listed - is that something you'll be doing on your own. Smoked malt goes a long way, 1lb might turn your beer into something VERY smoky flavored. Take a look through the smoked beer recipes on this site and check out how much smoked malt they use and what the ultimate flavor profile is. That should give you some indication of what quantities you would take away from it. In my opinion, smoked malt is out of place in a strong english ale.

Thank you... Im starting to shy away from smoking the malt I may just do a Secondary with the oak chips or spirals mentioned above by waldzinator.... and may even go 40L on the crystal

based on other Fullers recipes I'd use 1 lb. crystal 50-60, but not knowing SRM it's hard to pin down how much chocolate to use. I assume it's a darker ale?

Not sure, My Dad thinks it was a really deep golden color but he was starting to get Sloshed at that point and can't really remember...haha I was even thinking of going to a 20L-40L because I already have 14oz of 20L and 2oz chocolate left over from another brew....

I read the title as "help - I need advice for how to respond to 'need help on first recipe' posts."

London pride or something similar might be a good base recipe. According to the old "can you brew it" post, London pride, fullers ESB, and 1 or 2 other beers are the same recipe. They brew partygyle style, separate the runnings, and blend the wort to get the right consistency before the boil.

You don't have to do that, but if you know the properties of fullers reserve, you can probably finagle with your output. For instance, as a strong, you may be good with using your first runnings. You could also add wood (cues/spirals) to primary or secondary based on your feel for their process.

Lastly, you can try to email the folks at fullers and see if they will give you any tips. They may not respond, but it won't take too long to send an email. Just make sure to plug your passion for the beer and how much your dad enjoyed it.

Here is where Im at:

13.2lbs Munstons Maris Otter LME
8oz 50L crystal malt
8oz 20L crystal malt
1oz chocolate malt
8oz wheat malt
1tsp irish moss

1oz Target
1oz Challenger
1oz Northdown

Wyeast 1968

do Secondary with oak chips / spirals

I did a google Image, it looked a little darker than ESB maybe 12-13 Srm would do. The ABV is around 8.2%, so 9.9lbsLME and a lb. of crystal + chocolate for color adjustments should get you where you need to be. 40-45 IBU's would probably balance out the malt nicely. 2-3 oz. of heavy toast oak in secondary for two weeks seems about right. Make sure to use at least a 2L starter to ferment that beast of an ale!!! good luck

I read the title as "help - I need advice for how to respond to 'need help on first recipe' posts."

Meaning I had no recipe to go by and if anyone has ever had the beer or has ever tried to clone it or a beer close to it ..... So I guess Im trying to go by what my dad told me and some sort of English strong ale recipe and need help trying to put together something?:drunk:

I did a google Image, it looked a little darker than ESB maybe 12-13 Srm would do. The ABV is around 8.2%, so 9.9lbsLME and a lb. of crystal + chocolate for color adjustments should get you where you need to be. 40-45 IBU's would probably balance out the malt nicely. 2-3 oz. of heavy toast oak in secondary for two weeks seems about right. Make sure to use at least a 2L starter to ferment that beast of an ale!!! good luck

Thank You Sir :rockin:

edit: I just plugged the recipe into a calculator it may need an additional lb of dme

so maybe...

1lb Munstons DME
8oz 50L crystal malt
8oz 20L crystal malt
1oz chocolate malt
8oz wheat malt
1 tsp irish moss

1oz Target
1oz Challenger
1oz Northdown

Wyeast 1968 London ESB

2L starter ferment.... How many days in advance do you usually start the yeast?

Any thoughts on what the taste will be like???? :cross:

Would you add any spices?

Did the beer have any Cognac hints? Might want to soak those oak spirals in it if so.
The beer sounds really tasty btw.

Revised recipe looks good - looks like a pretty well balanced strong ale. Personally, I avoid spices as much as possible, so I wouldn't put any in if it were my beer, but that is a personal choice. I'd just let the malt and oak take the lead on the flavor. For a 2L starter from a vial or smack pack, two days lead time should be plenty. You can probably get away with one day too.

Altwein said:
so maybe...

1lb Munstons DME
8oz 50L crystal malt
8oz 20L crystal malt
1oz chocolate malt
8oz wheat malt
1 tsp irish moss

1oz Target
1oz Challenger
1oz Northdown

Wyeast 1968 London ESB

2L starter ferment.... How many days in advance do you usually start the yeast?

Any thoughts on what the taste will be like???? :cross:

Would you add any spices?

I believe fullers uses C60, but using the two crystals should give a little more sweetness I thats what you are going for. Try to use a good British brand for those grains like Simpsons or Fawcett if you really want to try cloning. Otherwise, whatever you can get is good enough.

Thanks fellas for all the help... Maple pecan Porter going to Secondary Sunday and Will try to get the English Strong Ale in primary Sunday also.... Thanks again for all the advice, I sure hope this one turns out well....:rockin:

Back