Someone help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadto15RTR

Reaction score
Hey all,

Me and some buddies just started brewing, planning on doing our second batch tonight. The first batch was an extract kit that came with detailed instructions. I guess we got a little carried away for out second batch and looked up some recipes, but now have no instructions. This is what we have, we are trying to make a Hefeweizen:

1. 6 lbs of wheat DME (4lbs and 2 lbs)
2. Muslin bag of carapils
3. 1.5 oz and .5 oz of hallertau (I know when and how to add these)
4. 1 vile of Hefeweizen Ale Yeast WLP 300
I know when to add the hops and the yeast. I am mainly looking at when to add the DME (do I add it all at once like I did with my last batch with LME)? And what do I do with the bag of carapils.

Thanks!

Steep the bag of carapils in 150 degree water for 20 minutes then remove. Then add half of the dme to said water. Bring too a boil and proceed with hop addition schedule. Then add the remaining dme at the last 15 minutes of the boil. Cool wort to under 70 degrees, pitch yeast.

Heat water to 150, add your carapils in the bag. Probably let it steep for 20 minutes or so. Take the bag out, bring to a boil and add your DME. Start your 60 minute timer and add hops as appropriate.

Put your bag of grain when you turn on the burner. Get the water to 155 then turn off the heat and let it steep for about 30 mins. Turn the heat on after the 30 minutes and then pull the bag out and pour some of the water over it a few times (this is called sparging your grains). Then remove the grains and bag.

I would add my DME at thus point so it can be dissolved before you start to boil. This just seemed to reduce the risk of a boilover...for me it worked. Other will say add the dme once your boil starts.

After the above, you're boiling so add your hops according to your schedule. :mug:

Remember... Relax, don't worry and have a homebrew!

~Cheers

Back