Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
n00b brewer here so I apologize if this question is dumb but how do you go about bottling this?

More bottling advice. :)

I just bottled 10g this about a month ago. These batches were started on Aug 7 and had cleared around 6-7 weeks. I think bottling anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months is very normal and acceptable.

Sanitation: I use Starsan which is basically an acid sanitizer and should be mixed 1oz/5gal. I usually mix it stronger in 1-2 gal batches. I start with clean wine bottles (24 bottles per 5 gal), I then fill a spray bottle with Starsan. I give each wine bottle 10-15 squirts/sprays. After I spray, I swirl and shake each bottle. I then dump each bottle into a bucket. I also pour 1-2 gal mixture into my bottling bucket and I submerge my siphon hose in the bucket and let it sit 10-30 mins. I acquired (stole from my wife) a wallpaper tray. I fill it half full and submerge my autosiphon in the tray and let sit 15-30 mins. I also take 24-25 #9 corks and put then in the wallpaper tray to sanitize.

Siphoning: I start by positing the fermentation container on a counter which is a couple feet above the floor. I then dump the sanitizer out of the bottling bucket, the siphon hose, and the autosiphon. I place the bottling bucket on the ground. I insert the autosiphon into the fermentation container, attach the siphon tube and place the other end in the bucket on the floor. One or two pumps of the autosiphon and the apfelwein starts to transfer. Watch as it transfers and then tip the fermentation container carefully not to disturb the yeast cake. I tip it to try to get the most out. I sometimes use a tipping aid like a folded dish towel. At some point, you have transfer as much as possible and stop siphoning.

Bottling: I place the fermentation container out of the way. I have started to use Milk Crates to hold my glass carboys. Easier to lift and offers some protection. I then put the bottling bucket up on the counter. I have a bottling wand (plastic tube with spring valve). I also cut a piece of hose to act as a coupler between the bottling bucket spigot and the bottling wand. I sit on a small chair facing the bottling bucket with all the unfilled wine bottles on my left. I have attacked the short hose and bottling wand and then open the spigot (towel/rag underneath bottling wand handles drips). I give each bottle an extra dump to clear out any residual Starsan and then insert the wand into the bottle and start filling. I actually fill almost up to the top of the bottle. As the wand is removed, it will create empty space at the top of the bottle. I then place the filled bottles off to my right. Fill them and wipe off any drops.

I do not carbonate yet. If you decided to carbonate, do not use regular wine bottles, they will not handle the pressure which will pop out the corks. You could use Champagne or beer bottles for carbonation. Flip-Top (Grolsch) bottles would also work nicely.

I have also not started back sweetening yet. If we want the Apfelwein sweeter, we usually use something like Sprite Zero or 7UP.

Corking: I have a Portuguese floor corker that I found on Craigslist ($40). It makes it possible to cork by myself. Other types of corkers may make a second pair of hands a requirements. I adjust the corker to make sure that the corks are inserted until they are flush with the top of each bottle. Wipe em off and drink the rest of the apfelwein that wouldn't fit in that last bottle.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

Has anyone tried refermenting a new batch right on top of the old yeast cake after racking to bottles? I saw this in the early pages but did not read where it worked.

It works. I've done it and the apfelwein came out great on both the first and second batch.

Hats off to you Ed Wort, i just sampled my first batch of this and give it 2 thumbs up! then after 4 glasses i started seeing double and gave it 4 thumbs up!

I am on my fourth batch and have never had anything like a krausen or foam on top at anytime during fermentation. Only change with this one is that I tossed a couple of cinnamon sticks in. See photo. Anyone have anything that looks like this on top of their apfelwein in the fermenter? Thoughts? Thanks!

image-3745702843.jpg

I am on my fourth batch and have never had anything like a krausen or foam on top at anytime during fermentation. Only change with this one is that I tossed a couple of cinnamon sticks in. See photo. Anyone have anything that looks like this on top of their apfelwein in the fermenter? Thoughts? Thanks!

That looks absolutely fine. :) That foamy stuff on top is likely an agglomeration of of pectin and protein that formed around the cinnamon dust (sticks are still dusty) that would be floating on top.

My wife and I bottled three gallons of this two weeks ago. It's reasonably tasty and slightly carbonated after two weeks in the bottle :)

Ours fermented and cleared very quickly so we bottled at a few days short of four weeks. We're very excited for it to age and keep getting more apple flavor.

Thanks for the recipe, EdWort.

I made a batch in may, bottled it a month ago and just tried one . Do you guys find it highly acidic? I made the original recie

I made a batch in may, bottled it a month ago and just tried one . Do you guys find it highly acidic? I made the original recie

The acidity will depend on the apple juice that you started from. Many of the popular brands add ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), and once the sugar has fermented out, you're left with nothing to buffer the acidic flavor.

Interesting about the Vitamin C comment, just finished making my first batch. 3.75 gallons of Kroger 100% apple juice, 1 gallon Kroger 100% cranberry juice. 2 lbs priming sugar from my LHBS was only $3, not worth shopping around. I'm going to give it about a month, then float a sock with a cinnamon stick for a week or two. Then leave it alone for a month or so before doing a little check.

Doh! Major Homer Moment, forgot to check SG. Better check now, even with the yeast I hope I get a semi-accurate reading.

Edit: measures about 1.062-.064, does this seem about right? If there is such a thing with this hooch....

I bought organic apple juice from Mcintosh apples with nothing added from Trader Joes. I purposely looked for an all apple juice with nothing else. Unless they didn't specify on the label....

GNBrews said:
The acidity will depend on the apple juice that you started from. Many of the popular brands add ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), and once the sugar has fermented out, you're left with nothing to buffer the acidic flavor.

Errrrr, technically true, but misleading. The vitamin C is rarely, if ever, in so significant a concentration.

But apples are high in malic acid, and in fact are more acidific than lemons, even. And of course, this acidity varies from cultivar to cultivar, and (to a lesser extent) even fruit to fruit. So depending on the apples the juice was made from, the acidity will likewise vary, and it's from this that certain juices/apfelweins will get their acidic bite - NOT the (sometimes) added ascorbate.

That being said, IME and from what I've seen of others, the more acidific juices actually seem to be largely preferred, with less acidic (often "higher" quality, more expensive) juices seeming to turn out a product that tastes lifeless and watery to most people.

Errrrr, technically true, but misleading. The vitamin C is rarely, if ever, in so significant a concentration.

But apples are high in malic acid, and in fact are more acidific than lemons, even. And of course, this acidity varies from cultivar to cultivar, and (to a lesser extent) even fruit to fruit. So depending on the apples the juice was made from, the acidity will likewise vary, and it's from this that certain juices/apfelweins will get their acidic bite - NOT the (sometimes) added ascorbate.

That being said, IME and from what I've seen of others, the more acidific juices actually seem to be largely preferred, with less acidic (often "higher" quality, more expensive) juices seeming to turn out a product that tastes lifeless and watery to most people.

I believe you are correct about the ascorbic acid having little to no effect on taste, but according to this web site, lemon juice has a pH of 2.0-2.6 and apple juice has a pH of 3.4. Obviously, the type of apples used for the juice can affects the pH, but I think it's more typical for "drinking" type apple juice to be less acidic (higher pH) than lemon juice.

Either way, I used cheap juice from concentrate with ascorbic acid added and the final product is not sour. It is tart, however.

After about 10 weeks, I put my apfelwein bottles. Would have been nice to wait a little longer, perhaps. But I've been so busy with life/work lately, that I took the first chance to bottle it (it's been about 10 weeks, at least).

Lemme tell you. This stuff is the real deal. I used 5 gallons of basic Kroger apple juice, and the product tastes like a mix of apple juice + white wine, but I personally love it. Absolutely no taste of alcohol AT ALL. Absolutely deadly. Gonna buy more juice soon. :)

Edit: measures about 1.062-.064, does this seem about right? If there is such a thing with this hooch....

Mine came in at 1.059 OG. Yours sounds fine.:mug:

Now for my question to you guys; Does this stuff need to be degassed if I plan to put it up in corked wine bottles after 4 weeks?

I made one batch of Apfelwein around this time last year, but it's all been gone for months now. Well, besides the ONE bottle I have in my fridge that I *almost* drank today.

Anyways, I have another 6 gallons that are going on month 5 in the better bottle. Anyone care to hazard a guess at how amazing this will taste? I can't wait!

I had 5 gallons that I just bottled the other week that had been sitting in the primary since early FEB. AMAZING. I also have one wine bottle left that is about 13 months old that I'm saving for christmas. I brought some over to a couple who are wine drinkers and they both loved it. I think it can be an acquired taste for some people. They were blown away by the simplicity of the recipe.

I have a better bottle that's been sitting for 2 years now, airlock has not dried out, I've kept an eye on it. Will this be delicious? Will this be awful ? My concern is it sitting on the yeast for so long.
I do have to lift it to a higher surface to bottle. Should I lift it and let it sit for a few days to settle back down?

So I went on a weekend vacation an forgetting I have 5 gallons fermenting I dropped my thermostat to 56 for almost 3 days. The temp on the fermenter was 58 when I got home. It has been going since 11-9 do I have anything to worry about with the yeast or should I pitch some more?

Bet it's fine. Maybe had already finished, depending on when you left. Can you see any CO2 bubbles now that it's back up to temp? Did your carboy clear up while you we gone?

If it's not clear, my reading of the OP would suggest yeast are still in suspension and active. My fermentation has been pretty obvious in terms of CO2.

If in doubt, check SG.

Just bottled mine after 3 months for the holidays. I will definitely say the flavor is way improved from the 2 month mark and 3 months or longer is the way to go. I also added one cinnamon stick when I boiled the sugar and water for boiling. It was fine to drink as is last night without carbonation.

Next time I want to have more apple juice ready so I can just dump it back on the yeast already in there. This batch will hold me over for a while and I already have my batch of cherry cinnamon apfelwein at 2 months and will be letting it go well into next year. Will be keeping this in rotation for a while and may still spice it up even more. Possibly orange zest or who knows.

Also mentioned above, you can substitute table sugar for dextrose or corn sugar with no issues. This applies to bottling or the regualr recipe. Since I had 5.5 gallons, I used 5 oz corn sugar and added some table sugar for the extra ounce when bottling.

I brewed my first batch of apfelwein late this summer (started it in early July) and tapped it just before Thanksgiving. This stuff is amazing! Sure made Thanksgiving with the in-laws a lot more bearable...

Is there an ideal temp to try to keep with this recipe/yeast? I followed it exactly except I re-hydrated the yeast. Ambient temp in my basement is 65, but I've got it sitting in a swamp cooler with room temp water just because it's supposed to be really warm this weekend (70's) and I want to avoid temperature spikes.

What is the ABV that most of you guys get from this? How low will it ferment to? After 3 weeks mine is at 1.000 it started at 1.065. Is it done? Used a wine yeast

What is the ABV that most of you guys get from this? How low will it ferment to? After 3 weeks mine is at 1.000 it started at 1.065. Is it done? Used a wine yeast

EdWort suggests keeping it in the primary for 3 months if you can, but get it off the yeast after that by racking it to secondary for bulk aging or bottle it. It is supposed to taste much better if you wait that long and let it bottle condition for a least another 3 months.

1.000 would taste good, but wine yeast might take it lower. Make sure its warm enough for another week or two. My first batch with a low attenuating beer yeast (windsor) brought it all the way to .990.

My second batch is currently cold crashing in the garage w/ gelatin. This one had 3 cans of frozen concentrate to boost apple flavor and subbed brown sugar for corn sugar. Its been in a carboy for 3 months, can't wait to try it out after 3 months in a bottle.

So last night I just realized I had added 4lbs brown sugar instead of 2lbs. I was wondering why it was taking so long. Checked about a week ago and it was at 1.010. I used montrachet, I am assuming this will be drinkable I will just let it sit longer. But does anyone know how this will turn out? Will the yeast get it down low enough or will it stop high? Montrachet says it has a tolerance to 13% and I don't think it should have gotten that high so I am not too worried. Just wondering if it will taste alright or if I made hooch.

Montrachet should have no problem crunching through the extra sugar. It took my rhubarb wine from 1.092 down to 0.988 (14% ABV). My Apfelwein w/ Montrachet was only 1.062 with 1 lb brown sugar and 3 cans of frozen concentrate (No FG yet).

You might need a little extra aging, but maybe not. You will be adding an extra expletive towards Ed the morning after though.

blefferd said:
I just made another batch using Pasture Champaign yeast, not sure how it will turn out! It's bubbling away though.

Yup my first batch thats what yeast I used. Second batch I got the monchart or whatever its called.

I have a batch that hit 4 months in the fermenter the other day - it's looking very clear. I rushed my first batch, and it turned out good enough that I have another batch that's at about 3 months as well. I used Montrachet for batch #1, and EC1118 for the two that are fermenting now. I'm thinking that one is getting bottled either this weekend or next weekend.

I may try to throw a Skeeter Pee on the yeast after I bottle, just to give that a try.

I walked down in my basement this morning and thought I was smelling sewer water or a gas leak. Turns out it was the smell coming out of the airlock on the batch I made Thursday night. I heard others mention that this puts off some funk for a while, but man. Smells like rotten eggs and apples. :eek:

Back