rehydrating the yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deutsch22

Reaction score
Is is possible to rehydrate the yeast for too long? I did it or a little over 30 minutes.

This is my first batch ever and I'm just curious. It's been just under 24 hours and I'm not seeing any bubbling in my airlock. What could be some other problems? Am I just getting too impatient? Lol

Thanks!

Beer-lord said:
30 minutes is not a problem unless it was too hot.
What type of beer is it and what was the OG?

It is a European pilsner, I didn't get it too hot, I actually took the temp, it was around 100.

It may have been a little longer than 30 but no longer than 40.

Forgive my ignorance, what is OG??

I tried to do as much research as possible but I was too excited to wait to brew!

Original gravity. Did u use a hydrometer?

I don't like to pitch above 85F. your prolly ok, have you shaken, swirled the fermentor?

liquiditynerd said:
Original gravity. Did u use a hydrometer?

I don't like to pitch above 85F. your prolly ok, have you shaken, swirled the fermentor?

I did not use the hydrometer

I did aerate the fermenter. I poured it back and forth 3 separate times.

OG is original gravity. It's a measure of the density of the prefermented wort on the specific gravity scale (i.e. density relative to water).

No problem to rehydrate longer than 30 min. I know that common rehydration instructions say to pitch within 20 or 30 min, but I've pitched after an hour with no problems. I think the advice is so that the yeast don't start using their reserves, so it's not ideal to wait too long, but you're probably OK.

Dry yeast usually start a little faster, but no need for you to worry. Sometimes it takes up to 72 hours.

Hex23 said:
OP: did you rehydrate in 100 degree water or pitch into 100 degree wort?

I rehydrated at 100, My wort was 75, I made sure of that!

When you chill the wort, what's the typical
Time you want to aim for? I'm sure the faster the better but what is a good time to aim for? I don't have a wort chiller but I'm gonna get one. Right now I fill up the bathtub full of cold water and ice. It worked pretty fast.

Well there is no set time for chilling a wort, but its generally thought that the faster the better. The reason behind this is there is less exposure to the outside world giving it less chance for an infection.

Fermentation can take 24-72 hours to start. I dont worry until 48 or more hours have past. I even sometimes find that the airlock isnt bubling but the yeast are making the wort nice and frothy [creating a krausen]. RDWHAHB.

Deutsch22 said:
I rehydrated at 100, My wort was 75, I made sure of that!

When you chill the wort, what's the typical
Time you want to aim for? I'm sure the faster the better but what is a good time to aim for? I don't have a wort chiller but I'm gonna get one. Right now I fill up the bathtub full of cold water and ice. It worked pretty fast.

Good! The mote batches you make the more natural it will become to know the time to start rehydrating. There are some cases though (pitching rehydrated yeast cold into lagers) where it's next to impossible to follow the 20-30 min advice.

Sounds like you're in good shape though. Keep those ferm temps low if you can.

Hex23 said:
Good! The mote batches you make the more natural it will become to know the time to start rehydrating. There are some cases though (pitching rehydrated yeast cold into lagers) where it's next to impossible to follow the 20-30 min advice.

Sounds like you're in good shape though. Keep those ferm temps low if you can.

I've actually got the perfect setup for fermentation. I've got a sun room connected to my house that has no heating or air but it keeps steady temp of like 55-60. I live in Kentucky so the temp is perfect right now in the room. I'm not sure how sunlight affects the fermentation, I'm assuming that it does so I shut all the blinds.

Summer time may be a bit of a problem because I don't have a basement but I'll worry about that later.

One other thing on this airlock, do I need to leave on this red top on my airlock? I'm assuming yes?

image-1348392607.jpg

According to pdf on midwest,US-05,for example,should be rehydrated in water of 90-105F temp. It's supposed to make the rehydrated cell walls stronger. I used to rehydrate at 70-75F,& it worked ok. But didn't always take off faster. So your rehydrate temp was within range.
And chilling the wort down to pitch remp in 20 minutes or less gives less chill haze at fridge time. I nailed it with my last batch,a pm plae ale,& virtually no chill haze at all. Just very slight & didn't last long. You can see it settle out like a fog.

Thanks for researching that union. I will change my ignorant ways!

So, OP, no follow up asking us to repitch so....... Bubble bubble toil and trouble?

Back