PM to AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mforsman

Reaction score
While I'll probably just do this as a PM to keep the flavors I've been getting (which is GREAT and many people have told me to always have this on tap).

I just upgraded to all grain (3 batches ago) and what to hone and increase my efficiency.

Should i just take the US 2-row and bump it from 1.5lbs to 8.88? (That is the LME x 1.23)

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
US 2-Row Malt 1.50 lb 17.6 % 0.5 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 10L Malt 0.50 lb 5.9 % 1.0 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 20L Malt 0.50 lb 5.9 % 1.9 In Mash/Steeped
Extract - Golden Light Liquid Extract 6.00 lb 70.6 % 4.6 Start Of Boil

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
Sorachi Ace 15.1 % 0.85 oz 38.4 Loose Whole Hops All Of Boil
Sorachi Ace 15.1 % 1.00 oz 34.7 Loose Whole Hops 30 Min From End
US Cascade 6.8 % 1.00 oz 1.0 Loose Pellet Hops 1 Min From End

Great thanks! Going to make the 2.5 hour trek to the brew store now.

Well, let us know how it comes out! It's always fun to make an AG batch from the "same" recipe you did as an extract or PM and to see if you can notice any differences.

The only differences I noticed in some of my favorites were less of a "extract" taste, if that makes sense. In comparison, the extract batch seemed a little thicker with more of a malt syrup flavor. Otherwise, I didn't notice much difference in some of the beers.

Most extract has carapils. when you sub out 2-row for them, you typically get a lighter feeling beer. For an APA, that could be a good thing.

So for a beer that im converting from PM to AG that has a bit more body I should use some carapils?

Thanks everyone.

Carapils adds body, but it isn't the only way to accomplish that. It is usually used in lighter beers where you want to fill them out a little without adding flavor, sweetness or color.

Back