Mason jars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AwesomeBill

Reaction score
I have a case of mason jars, I bought at a decent price. Has anyone ever tried putting cider in them. I don't want to screw up my batch. I think it would be fun to have cider out of a jar at a barbecue. Any help its greatly appreciated.

Really, I'd imagine they'd be ok with that. So if I don't use priming sugar or any other method of carbonation I'll be ok? I intend to drink it in the very near future.....

AwesomeBill said:
Really, I'd imagine they'd be ok with that. So if I don't use priming sugar or any other method of carbonation I'll be ok? I intend to drink it in the very near future.....

If you are sure it is finished fermenting and want to drink it flat sure. Or you could bottle like normal and pour into the mason jars for drinking out of since you wouldn't want to drink from the bottle anyway due to the yeast

I suppose if you wanted the "presentation" of opening mason jar "bottles" and have kegging equipement you could let it ferment to finish in primary, then add some sorbate to kill off the yeast. Force carb in a keg, then bottle into the mason jars from the keg and seal them using a vacuum sealer. Seems like an awful lot of work though and I'm not 100% sure it would even work.

I suppose if you wanted the "presentation" of opening mason jar "bottles" and have kegging equipement you could let it ferment to finish in primary, then add some sorbate to kill off the yeast. Force carb in a keg, then bottle into the mason jars from the keg and seal them using a vacuum sealer. Seems like an awful lot of work though and I'm not 100% sure it would even work.

How could you vacuum seal... It would draw carb out and the top would pop...

That would undoubtedly work. If that's the effect the OP was going for, this is pretty much the route he would have to go to achieve it. Whether this process is worth it or not would really be up to him. However, we won't be serving any yeast-killed force-carbed cider-filled mason jars at the NineMilBill Brewery anytime soon.

I figured you already understood this concept and didn't need it explained.

Mason jars are meant to hold a vaccum, not the outward pressure of carbonation pressing on the screw ring.

Drink out of them, but don't bottle in them.

They work by creating a vacuum when you can under pressure... When you put your food in the jar, seal the jar and stick it inside the boiling water bath, as it cools the vacuum draws the seal downward or inward that's why the dimple on a can is supposed to be pushed inward, and if you ever come a cross a can where it is bulging outward you are in trouble...

When you bottle, the gas builds up til it maxes out the head room (held in place by the crimped cap or the cork with wire or the gasket on a grolh bottle.....The co2 hits the barrier, maxes it and then goes back into solution/

With a mason jar you would either blow the seal and all the co2 would escape or if you were lucky enough that the seal held, more than likely the glass of the jar would explode and you would have a nice bottle grenade....

The tops for a mason jar typically is a thin metal lid with a rubberized "grommet" attached to is, really just a silicon band around the edge of the lid, and a retaining ring.

Mason-jar-lids.jpg

canning.jpg

When you can, the cooling of the once heated container and it's goodies creates a vaccuum, it sucks inward. It pulls the flat tightly Downward.

In fact many of the lids actually has a small indentation in the center of it, that when the vacuum occurs it is pulled inward on the top and leaves a little dimple. That's a sign that there is a vacuum pulling the lid down and keeping the veggies or jam sealed up nicely and protected from infection.

And usually after you remove the retaining ring, if everything is OK with the jar, you usually can feel/hear the the vaccum break, with a little *POP*

However any of you who have ACTUALLY canned before, probably knows that one of the ways you can tell if your food in the can spoiled is if the little dimple is pushed outword. In jars without the dimple it is really hard, usually the lid might feel loose or there might actually be wetness around the lid when you unscrew the retaining

Because usually the rotting food give of a gas which expands to push up the dimple OR it breaks the seal where the little lid gasket meets the rim of the glass.

There is considerably MORE pressure in the carbonation process of beer, often enough pressure to cause a BOTTLE BOMB, in bottles specifically made to handle the OUTWARD pressure of carbonation.

Now if you managed to find one of these older style, thick walled jars with big gaskets and flip tops...We MIGHT be having a different discussion.

mason-jar.jpg

But your typical jars from the grocery store...NOT.

A crown bottles cap is designed to contain the Outward and upward pressure of a beer bottle, we crimp it down, we don't create a vacuum that seats it on the bottle.

Obviously, like I said in my initial post. You COULD use them...if you were bottling STILL cider.

Obviously, like I said in my initial post. You COULD use them...if you were bottling STILL cider.

AKA: "I didn't feel like typing all of this the first time, but for you friend, I will"

Nice post again Rev

Louis Kahn is the architect who famously asked the brick hat it wanted to be. The brick said it wanted to be an arch.

Mason jars don't want store carbonated liquid. They want to hold cooked food using negative pressure. If they hold a drink, it should feel like you poured it in there because that's what was around. One of my favorite bars in town serves its drinks in mason jars, but never closed. It makes the place feel homegrown (which it is, with gusto).

Latest posts

Back