hot spots in mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adworld

Reaction score
I currently use a 8gal pot w false bottom inside a cooler as my mashtun. I am having problems w hot spots in my mash. I stirred for 5mins or so to bring down my mash temp to 153deg after 30 mins is stirred again and temps actually went up to 154.4

what can I do to eliminate hot spots in my mash? maybe it's just not possible and I am chasing a pink unicorn. :)

I don't think you need to worry about it. For one thing, you are probably in the margin of mechanical and human error. There is really no way to accurately measure the temperature of the mash twice. My bet is you measured a cooler spot the first time and just got a hot spot the second time. You also could have had steam pressure causing a slight rise in temperature. Nothing to worry about, however.
Then you also have a chance the measuring instrument is not calibrated or has a margin of error. Being within a degree or two is not something to worry about.

beerman1957 said:
I don't think you need to worry about it. For one thing, you are probably in the margin of mechanical and human error. There is really no way to accurately measure the temperature of the mash twice. My bet is you measured a cooler spot the first time and just got a hot spot the second time. You also could have had steam pressure causing a slight rise in temperature. Nothing to worry about, however.
Then you also have a chance the measuring instrument is not calibrated or has a margin of error. Being within a degree or two is not something to worry about.

right on. I have had low efficiencies and am troubleshooting my process so would like to be able to rule out temp variances I the mash.

i stirred really really good at the very start of the mash and then put the lid on. it seemed to me like my temps went up a little bit because I had the lid on. also i addmy grain and water slowly and mix as i add to really insure i get it all mixed up. once i do all that i use a digital thermometer and leave it in the tun

i stirred really really good at the very start of the mash and then put the lid on. it seemed to me like my temps went up a little bit because I had the lid on. also i addmy grain and water slowly and mix as i add to really insure i get it all mixed up. once i do all that i use a digital thermometer and leave it in the tun

Your temps aren't going to go up with the lid on. Mashes do not generate their own heat.

Your temps aren't going to go up with the lid on. Mashes do not generate their own heat.

It is possible to get a slight increase in temps if the lid is on because the steam creates some pressure. That could cause a rise of 1-2 degrees on the surface of the mash.

right on. I have had low efficiencies and am troubleshooting my process so would like to be able to rule out temp variances I the mash.

I don't think you need to worry. These readings are well within acceptable limits. You should see no significant change in mash profile.

It is possible to get a slight increase in temps if the lid is on because the steam creates some pressure. That could cause a rise of 1-2 degrees on the surface of the mash.

That steam is at atmospheric pressure, and in the process of cooling/condensing, when the lid is added. If the seal between the lid and the kettle was airtight, this will cause a reduced pressure in the kettle, and thusly lower the temperature according to P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2.

Regarding the OP, don't worry about hot spots. Do your best to insulate your tun. A quick stir and your golden.

I've always done this:

I take a few temperature readings in the mash tun, and if they (mentally) average out to my target temperature, I cover it up and call it good.

e.g., if my target temp is 153F.

I take a few temp readings in all corners of the mash tun, and I get 152, 154, 155, 151, 153, I know quickly that my mash is within range.

If I get 153, 154, 153, 155, 156, I know I'm above my target, and will add a small amount of cold water.

MC

Back