Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have wings on the smoker today, but the wind is really gusty so it's been rough going so far. I might have to finish these up in the oven because the smoker has been going through charcoal like crazy and the temperature is all over the place depending upon which way the wind is blowing.

Just did up 4 Boston butts. Used Bad Byron's for the rub, which is a bit hotter and saltier than what I've used before, but in a good way. Anyhow, TTIWWOP so here you go!

IMG_20110717_044314.jpg

That looks nice. I have a couple whole chickens on right now for lunchmeat this week, and I just threw a little tri-tip on with some salt-crust potatoes. The butcher shop only had a 1.5lb tri-tip, so I'm hoping I can get it smoked to med-rare in about an hour or so...

kingsford charcoal absolutely sucks balls. It took almost a whole bag to smoke 18 chicken breasts at ~250 on a WSM. I won't use that **** again.

kingsford charcoal absolutely sucks balls. It took almost a whole bag to smoke 18 chicken breasts at ~250 on a WSM. I won't use that **** again.

dude yes. I love it for normal grilling because of it's cheapness on holiday weekends at the Depot ($5 for 2/20lb bags!!) but it certainly does suck on the smoker.

I used an entire 8lb bag of Tru Cue lump to smoke a shoulder last weekend, 15 hour smoke at 225 in the UDS.... Next morning I pulled my firebasket out and there was still a good 2/3rds of the charcoal left and almost no ash! I relit it this past weekend to do some chickens and beef, and I still have plenty of fuel left over. Amazing. Never using briquettes in the smoker again.

I have before pics of my wings, but forgot to take the money shot in my hunger.

They turned out awesome. I did most of them tebasaki style with a dry rub and then maybe 25% of them I did with Frank's and some salt & pepper. Finished in the oven at 500F for 10-15 minutes to get the skins nice and crispy, then tossed the Franks ones again in a fresh coating.

2011_07_17_wings_on_smoker.jpg

I have before pics of my wings, but forgot to take the money shot in my hunger.

They turned out awesome. I did most of them tebasaki style with a dry rub and then maybe 25% of them I did with Frank's and some salt & pepper. Finished in the oven at 500F for 10-15 minutes to get the skins nice and crispy, then tossed the Franks ones again in a fresh coating.

Love me some grilled wings!

Only shot I got from this weekend:

After 16 hours the 4 Butts were done. The chicken (about 4 family packs of chicken drumsticks, roughly 80 drumsticks) took about 2 hours. Chicken skin crisped up a bit, which was nice. The butts shredded themselves.

pork_chicken.jpg

where in PA are you?

I just went out and reloaded my coal chute. Been smoking 8 butts since 11pm last night. Didn't set my alarm and the chute was out of coal. Luckily, due to the insulation, it had only droped to 180 in there. It'll get back up to temp (220) in no time. Later this morning we'll be throwing on some ribs. I'll get pics then.

I'm in Pottstown. How about yourself? I'm hoping these bad boys will be done in ~10 hours. We'll see... cooking at 225F.

Down in the Ft. Washington Area. My butts last weekend took 14 hours. They also had now bone in them. My 8 today all have the blade in them, so I'm hoping they'll go a bit quicker.

byzandula said:
I'm in Pottstown. How about yourself? I'm hoping these bad boys will be done in ~10 hours. We'll see... cooking at 225F.

I am in pottstown! Greetings fellow smoker and brewer!

Yeah these are boneless shoulders from costco ~6lbs each. If it takes 14 hours there will be some hungry people up in arms.

milldoggy: how's it going Mike? This is Dayton from Bruclear.

Ah Dayton, did not know you where a smoker. Brewed up 20 gallons over the last two days. Want to fire up the smoker, but cant stand another day outside. To hot.

Got my picnic on at 5:30 this morning... coming along nicely for some pulled pork goodness.

Today is my first smoke since replacing the coal pan in my Brinkmann cabinet smoker with a wok. I had drilled the pan previously with only minimum success. This morning had to close the vents almost completely off to get it down to 250.

I put a small Boston butt on at 5:30 this morning, it'll cook all day at 185-200 and be ready for our "traditional" Sunday family dinner, a tradition my daughter invented a few months ago so I'll feed her at least one good meal per week.

Almost 12 hours after the start, the picnics are done. They are currently resting, they will get pulled and served a little later this afternoon.
254363_10150343969038273_602223272_9628739_6405022_n.jpg
223803_10150343969653273_602223272_9628748_6646396_n.jpg

Dang. Looks good.

I smoked a 6lb picnic today. Went in the (Brinkman H20) smoker at 7:00. Transferred to 250°F oven at 11:30 (cheating, I know, but I don't have to relight any charcoal this way). Pulled it out at 12:30. Chopped it up at 1.

Served it with Colonial white bread and homemade coleslaw.

Made a mustard/garlic sauce, but put 2 kinds of KC masterpiece on the table as well. Everyone's 1st sammich had some KC and some of mine. Their second only had mine, I noticed. ;)

The 5 of use finished the whole thing.

We have been discussing this slaw thing around here today... I am a Damn Yankee (coworker told me the difference between a Yankee & a Damn Yankee: Yankee comes down South and goes back up North, Damn Yankee doesn't go back!) and we don't slaw up there on pulled pork sammiches. Also, I noticed that pork gets chopped around here which is not bad, just different. And easier.

I started the smoker at 5:30 with the minion method and refueled once around 1:00. If I had gotten a deeper wok I wouldn't have had to refuel at all.

I also made a Carolina style sauce with cider vinegar, molasses, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, ground mustard and cayenne. Poured it over the pork in the crock pot mainly just for moisture. SWMBO & daughter put some bottle sauce on their sammiches but I really liked it on its own.

I am a Damn Yankee (coworker told me the difference between a Yankee & a Damn Yankee: Yankee comes down South and goes back up North, Damn Yankee doesn't go back!)

Heh - me too. I was born in Ypsilanti, Michigan (West Detroit). Came down to GA when I was 12.

Chopping I find easier than pulling, and yields more consistent pieces. I can vary the size of the chunks depending on how, and what, it's served on.

Slaw on the sandwich - I eat it on about 1/2 the time. I guess cause I'm "half Yankee".

For me, its the slaw itself that is the problem... I couldn't eat it one way or the other. If I could stomach it, I might consider it on a PP sandwich.

I don't care for red slaw. Ironic that i have lived on both sides of famed Lexington BBQ being that I grew up in Salisbury, NC and moved to Winston-Salem, NC. Now watch out if there is white slaw with the brisket.

Well, I HATE mayo, so the creamy styles are out off the top. Never been a fan of cabbage anyway, so pretty much rules out the rest.

Well, I HATE mayo, so the creamy styles are out off the top. Never been a fan of cabbage anyway, so pretty much rules out the rest.

I was the exact same way until I made a vinegar slaw the other day. It has no mayo in it at all and I really like. I didn't think I liked cabbage until then either.

I was the exact same way until I made a vinegar slaw the other day. It has no mayo in it at all and I really like. I didn't think I liked cabbage until then either.

I'll have to give that a try sometime.

...but I'm still not putting it on my pulled pork!

Back