The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, anybody watching the pregame? Commentators were saying Timbers Army members were out around the stadium at 3am and had to be kicked out before the grounds officially opened at 7am :D

See I'm confused about that. I know that UNLV, like Nevada, is a Title-9 school and doesn't have an official NCAA soccer team. Like Nevada, their team is just a club sport. Impressive he was able to be picked up from the college-equivalent of second-tier soccer.

Not sure if your making fun because you're a UNR guy, but UNLV is D-1 soccer. We are in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation with schools like New Mexico(runners up to UCSB for the national championship not too long ago), Air Force, Denver, San Jose State, and Sac State. I played there from 2001-2004, so take my word for it, it's no club program.

No, not making fun. For once I'm actually being civil in a comment about UNLV :D

But Mountain Pacific Sports Federation isn't D-1, it's D-2. D-1 would put UNLV in the Mountain West Conference. MPSF is similar to the league I played lacrosse in for Nevada, the WCLL (West Coast Lacrosse League.)

Also, we're keeping the cannon again this year ;)

There is no MWC in soccer. It's because schools like Utah, BYU, Colorado State, and Wyoming don't have NCAA mens soccer programs. So the remaining schools in the MWC that have NCAA D-1 mens soccer programs play in the MPSF where they are joined by some other schools whose main conferences don't have enough mens soccer programs either.

Oh well slap my ass and call me Charlie. My bad, didn't know there were any NCAA conferences that worked like that. Hopefully Nevada's club program can move up to that eventually. They just picked up a club two years ago. I'm pissed because I play lacrosse since Nevada didn't have ANY form of men's soccer when I started college. Soccer doesn't have as big an emphasis in Northern Nevada as it does in Vegas and California. It's much more of a college town and, thus, most of the support is for football and basketball.

Also, is there a distinct reason Seattle are wearing their highlighter kits? In a derby it seems odd to wear your 3rd kit instead of.... ya know, your main colors.

Oh well slap my ass and call me Charlie. My bad, didn't know there were any NCAA conferences that worked like that. Hopefully Nevada's club program can move up to that eventually. They just picked up a club two years ago. I'm pissed because I play lacrosse since Nevada didn't have ANY form of men's soccer when I started college. Soccer doesn't have as big an emphasis in Northern Nevada as it does in Vegas and California. It's much more of a college town and, thus, most of the support is for football and basketball.

Yeah, it's a weird system. And he program was going through some financial issues recently that were related to Title-9 funding. They were basically told that they needed to fundraise in order to have enough $ to stay afloat because the school had to cut funding for mens sports(and obviously football and basketball weren't getting touched). Luckily enough they recently found a private donor that pledged enough funds to keep the program healthy for the next 5 years.

There is no MWC in soccer. It's because schools like Utah, BYU, Colorado State, and Wyoming don't have NCAA mens soccer programs. So the remaining schools in the MWC that have NCAA D-1 mens soccer programs play in the MPSF where they are joined by some other schools whose main conferences don't have enough mens soccer programs either.

And BSU is coming into the MWC without a soccer team as well.

And Nevada is following a year later. Watch out ;) I feel like Nevada/BSU is turning into a decent rivalry. I know it's always a big deal when the Broncos come to town.

It'll also be nice to be able to get a conference win every time we slap down UNLV :D :D

And Nevada is following a year later. Watch out ;) I feel like Nevada/BSU is turning into a decent rivalry. I know it's always a big deal when the Broncos come to town.

Indeed. I thought Nevada was highly underrated for most of last season. Glad to keep playing them.
It'll also be nice to be able to get a conference win every time we slap down UNLV :D :D
Heh.

Touché, but it will hurt your strength of schedule because we suck so bad. I think you'll be keeping that cannon for some time to come. It's OK though, UNLV is a basketball school(RIP Armon Gilliam).

Thanks! Yeah, I felt like Kaepernick's flair was stolen on the national level by Cam Newton. They are the exact same type of quarterback and Kap actually broke records before Newton but the news stories are always "Kaepernick being the third to reach [insert ridiculously high record]"

But why are we talking about throwball in a football thread? ;) HAHA

It's been a real battle on the ground. This is some proper derby play.

WOO! A bunch of All-Stars from LA this year :rockin:

Landy Cakes
Gonzilla
Franklin
Becks

Love it :D

Damn did they kick off yet? Talk about a lazy start to the 2nd half for Seattle. We want Lamar! We want Lamar!

Whoohoo!

I love Alhassan... I think Portland scored big picking him up last year. Give him one more year and he'll be the best player on the team.

Oh god SUCH a huge biff from Perlaza.... right across the open net...

Ugh.

Seriously. What do you do about a shot like that?

Edit: Well, there's Lamar for you. Hoping he does nothing. :D

Nod for the state of Nevada in Major League Soccer. I like it.

Like I said earlier today before the match started: instant classic.

Nod for the state of Nevada in Major League Soccer. I like it.

Like I said earlier today before the match started: instant classic.

You know it. The kid is lightning fast and was the USL player of the year last season. Good stuff coming from him just watch.

Mostly because he's sucked lately. Maybe some bench time did him good.

Edit: And it's over. Sad day.

Yeah, light a fire under his a$$. I like that strategy to get him going. IMO he's too dangerous in front of the goal to keep off the field. You think he would have finished that ball tha Perlaza let run across the goal mouth?

Agreed on the benching. That helps sometimes. I swear they were going to tie it up there in 89'

Good match overall, though it sucks to decide a derby on a PK.

I've never been super impressed with Perlaza. He's inconsistent and oftentimes doesn't work as hard as he could be.

It's great to see the Lady Yanks in the final!

First half saw some good possession-oriented soccer from both sides, each getting their own chances. Can't believe that Wachbach shot in the 27' hit the frame... I jumped up and was about to dance around my kitchen when I saw the shot go up. So sad :D

We must be watching different games when it comes to the Timbers. I have season tickets and have got to say that Cooper is the laziest, slowest, and overall least impressive player I have seen on the squad lately. He is consistently slow to react to plays that he should be making a move on. He has only scored 3 goals this year and hasn't scored in 3 months.

Perlaza on the other hand has always played his heart out on the field and makes a run at everything anywhere close to him.

Zizzo has been playing very aggressively lately also, really enjoying watching him on the pitch.

Good points, Joker, and I agree with them all. That match on the 10th was an outlier... Cooper was doing well and Perlaza was sloppy and slow. I guess it was opposite day.

But congrats to them for getting their first road win!

We must be watching different games when it comes to the Timbers. I have season tickets and have got to say that Cooper is the laziest, slowest, and overall least impressive player I have seen on the squad lately. He is consistently slow to react to plays that he should be making a move on. He has only scored 3 goals this year and hasn't scored in 3 months.

Well, we're agreed on Cooper. I pretty much just see him sitting up top waiting to draw a foul and not doing much besides.

Perlaza on the other hand has always played his heart out on the field and makes a run at everything anywhere close to him.

If you're down on Cooper for scoring only 3 goals, why not be down on Perlaza for scoring only 4? I guess I feel like I see other players doing more with their chances and chasing down the ball when they lose it. (I'm also a little tired of seeing the D-line scoring as many goals as the forwards).

Zizzo has been playing very aggressively lately also, really enjoying watching him on the pitch.
I can agree here too. :mug:

Back