Smoke box trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binkman

Reaction score
So SWMBO got me one of these for my birthday last fall:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=ANaMTcXqJseBgAfDl9SfDQ&ved=0CE4Q8gIwAg#

Complete with the smoke-box attachment. If you look closely, you can see that there is a drawer that slides out of the bottom of the smoke box, which holds the charcoal. Here's the problem: mine wont open for anything. It was getting harder to handle at the end of the fall, but I just uncovered the thing this weekend, thinking it would be time to use again soon, but that drawer is stuck as fast as if it were welded shut.

Anyone have a similar smoker with a similar issue?

So SWMBO got me one of these for my birthday last fall:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=ANaMTcXqJseBgAfDl9SfDQ&ved=0CE4Q8gIwAg#

Complete with the smoke-box attachment. If you look closely, you can see that there is a drawer that slides out of the bottom of the smoke box, which holds the charcoal. Here's the problem: mine wont open for anything. It was getting harder to handle at the end of the fall, but I just uncovered the thing this weekend, thinking it would be time to use again soon, but that drawer is stuck as fast as if it were welded shut.

Anyone have a similar smoker with a similar issue?

It is probably rusted shut. Take a torch and hammer to it and see if it that works.

yeah bang it with a hammer or heat it up like he said sabove. Soak it is WD from time to time and work it it loose.

"Side to side", "Up down"

Personally, I wouldn't use the wd40. If you can find it naval jelly will get rid of the rust and I know people use it on smoker all the time.

I thought you meant the barrel hinges were stuck? I had a pit that had these and I woudl spray a bunch of WD on them every so often.

It wont matter smoking with it since it is on the outside.

I thought you meant the barrel hinges were stuck? I had a pit that had these and I woudl spray a bunch of WD on them every so often.

It wont matter smoking with it since it is on the outside.

Well yeah, I could be wrong but I am assuming he is talking about in the firebox.

Back