Restarting a stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junglejapes

Reaction score
So about a year ago I started a maple ginger "wine." The OG was about 1.13 and I used 1 packed of Red Star Pasteur Yeast (this is the original problem I realize). I racked it to a secondary about 6 months later and the SG was about 1.050, sweeter than I'd like. Three months later, the SG was the same and based on the advice of the guy at my LHBS, I added another packet of Red Star Pasteur and a little yeast nutrient (I probably should've followed the advice of a poster on here and used EC-1118 but I'm learning on the fly here ...). Anyway, the SG is still 1.050. I went to a different shop today and the guy gave me two options: create a starter with 10 grams of EC-1118 or Premier Cuvee, rack the wine to a new fermenter and add the starter, or do the same with with a packet of Alcotec 48 turbo yeast (a product he admittedly knew little about). I bought the Alcotec, but after googling the Alcotec it seems like it might ruin my "wine" and while it's sweeter than I'd like, it's certainly drinkable. Just wondering what people's thoughts are here. I'm leaning toward getting a couple packets of Premier Cuvee or EC-1118 and giving that a shot. Has anyone heard of using Alcotec (or any other turbo yeast) to restart a stuck fermentation? What would you do?

Thanks for any advice!

EC-1118 is pretty good at restart stuck fermentations, and I'd start there. I'd make a starter with it, then add some of the must and when it's going well, add the starter back into the wine.

Don't use the Turbo yeast. Get a good starter going with Apple juice. and add some of your wine in over a course of days (EC-1118 and Premier Cuvee are same strain just different companies). This has always worked for me. I did turbo yeast once and it was some nice rocket fuel.( it has a 21% tolerance)

Latest posts

Back