My first recipe- IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollisBrewCo

Reaction score
this is the first recipe i have ever written myself. Its for 20 gallons of an American IPA. I got the mash and strike water suggested amounts from palmers how to brew and got all my other info from beer alchemy. please give me any feedback and suggestions. Also this is my first run on my new system so I'm assuming 65% efficiency.

48.5 lb U.S 2-row
2.25 lb U.S carmel malt 20L
2.25 lb U.S carmel malt 60L

4 oz Nugget @ 60 min (bagged whole)
3.5 oz Nugget @ 60 min (bagged whole)
5 oz Tettnager @ 15 min (bagged pellets)
5 oz Tettnager dry hop (pellets)

WYeast 1056 American Ale

Mash 60 min. w/20 gal @ 152*F (approx. 6.5 gal lost to grain absorption)
fly Sparge w/ 13.25 gal @ 170*F
Boil 90 min
ferment @ 65*F

expected OG: 1.063
expected FG: 1.017
expected IBU: 68
expected ABV: 7.4 %

questions I have is what to do about a starter ? the Mr.Malty calculator tells me i need 9.8L of starter but this seems like quite a bit to me.I don't have my stir plate yet but at my local HBS there is a stirrer attachment for a drill, I was thinking of doing the starter in a 5 gallon carboy with some DME. Also I'm looking to get a nice clear beer this time, any suggestions for irish moss amounts ?

1) the recipe looks decent enough to me. your hop choice makes it appear the attributes will be distinct yet not clash.

That is a lot of starter, but then again, that is a lot of beer (approx 200btls), your idea of the 5gal carboy should work with some DME. I would just quadruple the irish moss since you are quadrupling the beer.

throw a couple of whirfloc tablets if you can get your hands on them. they work much better in my experience.

also, if the starter doesn't work out (too much trouble) you could just use packets of S05.

My calculations only show 6.07 gallons lost to grain absorption. Grain bill x .125
I always throw in a little more sparge water than I need and keep an eye on my volume while I'm draining. You can just cut it off when you reach your boil volume.

Unless your set on it I wouldn't bother boiling for 90 minutes. That's a lot of extra energy for 20 gallons, it would save you some money in water, too.

These are all just my opinions. Except for the calculation. That's a calculation.

While the grain bill seems like good choices, the Tettanger seems a bit "different" for an IPA. I have a little trouble imagining Noble hop flavor in an IPA. Why did you pick those hops?

Edit - Oh, and +1 to using Whirlfloc and +1 to US-05 dry yeast. Same as 1056 but easier, cheaper, and more active yeast.

While the grain bill seems like good choices, the Tettanger seems a bit "different" for an IPA. I have a little trouble imagining Noble hop flavor in an IPA. Why did you pick that for flavor and aroma and Nugget for bittering?

I thought the same thing. Except I've never used either hop so I couldn't speak from experience.

i picked the tettanger only because i really like the flavor and aroma it provides, im really in love with this variety. Chefchris i used the same calculation for grain loss my math was probably off.

The starter volume seems a bit high. I am making an IPA with the same gravity in a 5 gallon batch and will need a 1.5 L starter. I would say for a 20 gal batch you would then need a 6 liter starter. I agree the grain bill looks good. I was a little surprised about the tettanger hops as well. But you answered this question. I am using fuggles and kent goldings and maris otter instead of American 2 row for more of en English style.

i picked the tettanger only because i really like the flavor and aroma it provides, im really in love with this variety. Chefchris i used the same calculation for grain loss my math was probably off.

I love the smell too. Used it first in a Pilsner in the 80's. I just never have had it in an IPA or known of anyone who has. Let us know how it comes out.

Rich

Latest posts

Back