Seriously sweet potential Keggerator, need quick answer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magnj

Reaction score
So I found this at work today next to the dumpster and got permission to grab it if I want it. Came from one of the buildings where I work but no one could tell me why it had been tossed. It turns on, lights work fan on the radiator goes on but doesn't blow cold. I'd really appreciate someone giving me an opinion on whether or not it can be repaired so I can bring it home.

How would I know if it just needs gas, busted compressor, busted electronics and how feasible is it to fix those things?

An alternative, though this may be stupid it makes sense to me, is to basically cut a hole in the side and attach my little dorm fridge to it and let that do the work. My initial plan was to just expand my mini fridge like others have to use as a ferm chamber and or keggerator, so I'm thinking it could work, again correct me if I'm wrong.

3740393312_c399234f46_o.jpg

3740393394_97b90bece6.jpg

3739599427_e8fe117f52.jpg

Click for large

yes it can be fix and yes you should fix it. that is a looks like a True GDM-12FC or GDM-23FC or some thing like it , new it is a 2000 $ rig and will normally give you decades of troble free service , thats why coke and pepsi use them. on that unit there is a evaporator in the top and a fan does it run ? and on the bottom there is a condensor and fan does it run ? does the compressor next to the condensor on teh bottom run?, even if you spent some money to fix it it would be worth it.

oh and for the love of god dont cut and splice it to a mini fridge , just pay to have it fix , but shop around and try your best to find out what wrong with it your self and order the parts and just "take it" to some one to replace them for you if you cant.
you will save alot of money that way.

Ok, I'll bring it home tomorrow but carting it around isn't going to be easy, I'll be bringing it home in a work truck and after that I'll have to ask a friend to help me because I can't move it with my car.

I didn't check up top but I think I saw a condenser on the bottom with a fan on it, looks like a radiator?

The first thing I should rule out is a leak I suppose? Can I do this from home with dye?

WAIT JUST ONE MINUTE

I have the same thing except a coke fridge. A True GDM 12. GREAT POP (point of purchase) fridge.

Open up the lower grill. The condenser coil and "radiator" are down there. See if it is gummed up with dust. These things are great IF the fins are not clogged up. Take a stiff maybe stainless steel or brass FINE brush. like the ones used for gun cleaning. Soak the dirt a while then clean the fins without bending them, straighten the ones that are bent so air flow is good. clean it all up and plug it in and see if it wont cool.

These tend to be used in areas where they get all gummed up and dirty. clean the bottom REAL good and it MIGHT start working for ya.

Mine was in my wood shop and got all dusted up. thought the same thing it needed freon, cleaned it all up and it works like a MUTHA.

Have fun.

P.S. DO NOT use the florescent light if you plan to use it for fermentation with a glass carboy.

Thanks for the tip, I'm assuming this came from a school, if it did I can almost guarantee it was never cleaned.

Another thing to consider, it uses r134A refrigerant so it is fairly recent and should be easily repairable... (As opposed to having to convert one from r12) And definitely worth a little investment in my opinion. However, have it repaired properly and ****-can the dorm fridge idea. You will be much happier in the long run.

Evan if it did use r12 refrigerant, you can still get it serviced. More expensive but still out there. Has to be evacuated and tested nd refilled by a licenses repair type. I know several here in my town, so they are out there.

Good Luck

I did some more investigating, still don't know who threw it out so I don't know what's wrong. I was however told not to use dye as it is harmful for the system's lifespan. I was also told that if the compresor gets hot that it may just need a recharge and it did get real hot in the half hour I had it on. I tried to look up top for the evaporator? But it's tucked in there well. The fan on the inside if the top that I assume would blow the cold air in doesn't spin.

I did some more investigating, still don't know who threw it out so I don't know what's wrong. I was however told not to use dye as it is harmful for the system's lifespan. I was also told that if the compresor gets hot that it may just need a recharge and it did get real hot in the half hour I had it on. I tried to look up top for the evaporator? But it's tucked in there well. The fan on the inside if the top that I assume would blow the cold air in doesn't spin.

As the compressor kicks on, the fan does not work?

BINGO.

It's not like there is cold air near it though, wouldn't it be cold to the touch at least. This is still sitting in the shop, wondering if I should even bother. I was told these are really expensive to run.

why would it be more costly to run than a refrigerator? i have a true gem 72
its just like that but has 3 doors, i uh hooked the lights and it does not use that much power.

if its just the evaporator or controling electronics it should not to too costly
but a compressor for that will run around 300.

but if you decide you really dont want to mess with it let me know i may see what it would cost to have it shiped fright to me and pay you a little something for your troble.

Well it's still sitting around but I'm thinking it's a lost cause. I'll check with the refrigeration guy today though.

I have a similar red bull one made by the same company - know if there is usually anything I need to avoid in the side walls? I want to put some taps on it

Back