Blonde Ale Recipe Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
4.5 gallons Blonde Ale

4 lbs Briess golden light LME (out of pilsen)
1.5 lbs Briess Bavarian wheat LME
6 oz Briess crystal 10
6 oz Briess crystal 20
0.1 oz Centennial (~10%) + 0.4 oz Liberty (~4%) @ 60 mins
0.2 oz Centennial + 0.3 oz Liberty @ 20 mins & 5 mins
WLP 001 California Ale

1.047/1.011
6* SRM
17.8 IBU's
4.8% ABV

Am considering boiling the wheat LME with the hops and adding the golden LME at the 5 min mark or so. I may just boil it all as I've been doing for simplicity. I don't care about the color, nor does my SWMBO, but my Bud Light neighbors may.
Any changes or suggestions?

I agree, forget color especially since they are out of pilsen anyway.

I would probably do the 20 min hop additions at 15 min, but I'm not sure that would make much difference anyway. But another thing you could consider is using carapils instead of one of the crystal malts.

you should try using DME ....I always used LME and one day tried DME and in my opinion I liked it much more. Better body, better taste, and better color.

If you are brewing this for, how shall I say.. "bud light accustomed" pallets you are going to want to drop any late hope additions.

I have had particular success hopping to about 20IBUs with one addition of Willamete at 60 minutes.

I just did a blonde ale. I'll put the ingredients up when I get home. So far it looks good.

image-3921685073.jpg

Makes me want some carboys so I can see it!
No doubt it'll just make me linger in the beer room longer (smelling and watching the airlocks are bad enough).

Makes me want some carboys so I can see it!
No doubt it'll just make me linger in the beer room longer (smelling and watching the airlock are bad enough).

Get yourself a see-though fermentation chamber. Watching active yeast is one of the most fascinating things I've seen. You would not believe how much those microscopic organisms can agitate a liquid.

Watch here. Ironically this is a blonde ale

I have made this one TEN times. It is awesome.
Blonde ale:
7# pale malt us 2row
.5# crystal 20
.5# Munich 10
.5# Carapils
.25 oz centennial hops 60 min
.25 oz centennial hops 35 min
.25 oz cascade hops 20 min
.25 oz cascade hops 5 min

US 05 Fermentis yeast
OG 1.040
FG 1.006

Sometimes i add 1# of flaked oats for extra smoothness! And head!

Enjoy,

Back