Botteling beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humble17

Reaction score
Hats the best way to clean used bottles prior to sanitizing them? Just regular ol soap and water or just really hot water, etc. Thanks!

I'm a nOOb but I read on here to use Oxi-Clean free and warm water. I tried it and they came out AWESOME! I had labels on them and they fell off after about a half hour soak. Then just rinse the bottles really good.

The Vinator is a life savor...I soak my bottles in oxiclean rinse well and then use star san in the vinator....pretty much the same as ^^

I've got the starsan and used it to clean pre-brew. Just wasn't sure on the cleaning of the bottles. I'll get some oxy-clean. Thanks again for your help.

Oxyckean is the simplist method, just a soak and a rinse. But a really great tool for making sure your bottles are clean and or rinsed well is the jet bottle washer.

03-48000.jpg

So oxy-clean that u would use to wash clothes? I have oxy-clean stain remover at the house, will that do?

I soak in oxy-clean, triple rinse, and then run them through the dish washer on hot wash, hot rinse, and sanitize dry; with NO detergent.

I found that if you have a Target near you, they usually have the Oxi-Clean Free in stock. (white tub w/ a lime green lid) Wal-Marts and the like are hit and miss. The one with the yellow lid has perfumes and such that's undesirable in the brewing process.

FYI, you may find a difficult-to-remove white residue (scale) on your bottles after cleaning with oxyclean. A soak with white vinegar will remove all of this quite quickly. Rinse with a bunch of water and follow up with sanitizer.

Back