Horizontal Corny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
Okay-

I'm gonna throw this out there...and if you don't like it, you can send it right back....:D This may have been adressed at some point, but what if you used a corny in the horizontal position? I can fit 4-5 cornys in my chest freezer upright, but if I laid them on their side, I could probably fit more. I'm thinking that if you had the "gas in" dip tube at the top, and the "liquid out" dip tube on the bottom (modifying it to just reach all the way to the keg wall, not the bottom) it might work all right. Maybe this could solve some storage problems some people have in their chest freezers. you could keep your aging kegs to the bottom on their side, and your active serving kegs on top. Probably a PITA to get down there, but hey....maybe this could be useful for some of us.

Anyone try this?

I think it would be more of a PITA trying to keep the beer tube toward the bottom during operation.

Also, doesn't the gas need to go through the brew to be absorbed...?

Then again there's no guarentee you can tap all the keg...just a thought. :confused:

I don't know. Not a good idea in my opinion, but you can toss my opinion in the can. :D ;)

Yeah...it's not like I need to do it or anything....but if it's possible, it may be one more tool we can use to solve our unique "engineering" problems.:D

How many more? 1? 2? 3?
So you'd be making custom dip tubes for 5-10 kegs for 1, 2 or 3 more keg capacity.

Just on that point alone it seems like a PITA.

I know what you're sayin'....but a lot of what we do is a PITA. I guess it IS kind of a farfetched idea. I'd have to do it to be sure, but my chest freezer is taller than it is wide, and the hump sucks up a bunch of space. On the main (lower) floor, however, I believe I could lay a corny on its side, and then stack them up.

Shoot...if it works...and you have a tall enough couch, you could slip a few precooled cornies under there and affix a small tower with drip tray to an armrest. How would a Coucherator treat you?:ban:

Yes.....I'm sober. Just bored at work:cross:

camiller said:
Having the pressure relief valve under the fluid level might be a "Bad Idea"
I can see that being an issue, possibly - when the beer level drops, some beer could dry up on it and make it stick, but personally I don't think I'd worry that much about it.

Other than that, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Perhaps even better than modifying the dip tube would be creating a "clunk" for it instead - get an extra gas-in dip tube, put a piece of flexible tubing on it, and on the end of the tubing put some kind of a weight - a stainless steel hose barb to threaded adapter should work fine. Then the weight keeps the end of the tube at the bottom all the time no matter which way the keg rolls. Then you aren't permanently modifying the regular long dip tubes, making the keg easy to convert back. Might even just be able to use the gas-in dip tube from that same keg, and just use the longer dip tube as the new gas-in tube - after all, it shouldn't matter much where the gas is entering. Just a thought.

I think it would work fine. I think that evandude has excellent idea but I would tilt the kes a little to have a smaller area to deal with when the keg is almost empty

I like that "clunk" idea. Maybe someone can benefit from this thread...?

You'd never quite get as much beer out as will a regular dip tube. When these kegs kick out, there's like 2 tablespoons of beer left.

Also, nothing like unloading all the top kegs when the bottom one kicks.

Just a thought.

Worlds largest horzontal corny.
picture004ve3.jpg

I just got back from a river trip that I brought a corny on. I put it on its side in a cooler added a cobra tap and the little cartridge co2 charger, added ice and ran the tap out of the top of the cooler. It worked fine for about two and a half gallons and then I just lifted it into a diagonal postition and put ice underneath. I got another gallon that way.
Did I look at a poentially worthless pressure release valve? Sure, but it was just incentive to drink faster.

eviltwinofjoni said:
What about simply putting the freezer on its side, so the cornies are all upright? :p

That's actually a reasonable idea... It'd be sort of a Chest freezer with a door on the side that opens toward the ground..

DeadYetiBrew said:
That's actually a reasonable idea... It'd be sort of a Chest freezer with a door on the side that opens toward the ground..
Except that the compressor will probably fail. Refrigeration units usually need to be oriented in a particular direction in order to function.

Parade...is that rain...?

Yuri_Rage said:
Except that the compressor will probably fail. Refrigeration units usually need to be oriented in a particular direction in order to function.

Parade...is that rain...?

Yea i thought about that... but still would be neat to see someone turn an upright into a chest, sure you could do it after messing around with some stuff... It's over my head though....

DeadYetiBrew said:
sure you could do it after messing around with some stuff...
It'd be really tough. A lot of the internals are packed in foam, and you'd probably have to re-plumb the refrigeration lines in order to re-orient the compressor. Then you'd have to pull a vacuum on the lines and recharge them. Too much work. Buy a new fridge or experiment with cornies on their sides (it could work...but I'd rather have the new fridge).

Back