AIPA with no secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlb307

Reaction score
So, I've made the decision after reading a LOT of posts on the subject to skip secondary fermentation and just keep my brew in the primary for up to 4 weeks, even dry hopping in the primary for the last week at a lower temp.
Figured it was better to avoid the risk of contamination/oxidation that way.
I am going to dry hop in the primary now, and not start that until I basically see no activity in the airlock, since I'm using a bucket and that's all I have to go by.
However, since I AM using a bucket, am I not putting my beer at just as much risk of oxidizing or infection when I pop open the lid for however long it takes to add the dry hops or check my gravity?
Any other tips if I'm going to skip using a secondary?

When your beer is in the primary, there is a "blanket" of CO2 capping the liquid. It would take a bit of effort to remove the entire blanket. You will be fine dry hopping.

I used to add a couple tablespoons of dextrose boiled in water when I dry hopped to augment the CO2 blanket. This was more for my peace of mind than anything else. It really is not necessary. I have dry hopped plenty of batches with no dextrose additions and they have been great.

You'll be fine....you don't need to use anything, add anything or worry about anything...Just leave the beer in, open it to do what you need to do, and rdwhahb.

+1

Yeast makes an acidic, alcoholic environment that is covered by a layer of carbon dioxide. Not very hospitable to other microorganisms.

There is nothing wrong with opening the fermenter and taking a sample to test/taste. Heck, I think new brewers should do this more often to get a better understanding of what happens throughout the process. Just take the standard precautions as far as sanitizing anything going into the beer.

Remember, the airlock is not a magical fermentation meter...

I would let the brew go until it's complete, confirmed by two matching SG readings as well as taste (3-4 weeks, or longer), then dry hop. Dry hop until the level is where you want it, then bottle/keg...

Latest posts

Back