repitching to slurry, should I add extra dry yeast for a high OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alamout

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm planning a bit of an experiment to use up some of my cheaper ingredients lying about, to see what a cheap strong brew will taste like.

Planning on making a strong wort (about 1.070 if I can get it that high) and pitching it into the slurry of a (6 gallon) primary I'm going to bottle this weekend.

I want this to be quite a dry brew so I want it to ferment as much as possible, do you think I should also add in another small pack of dry yeast when I pitch on top just to give it an extra boost?

Not too sure how much slurry I'm going to have in the fermenter, it's been in there two weeks and was fermenting quite strongly for the first 7 or so days.

Does too much yeast in the fermenter lead to an overly yeasty taste in the beer or will it all drop out if I condition it longer enough.

thanks!

If you are pitching on a good yeast cake, it's not going to need any extra yeast...it's gonna take off like a rocket as is. 1.070? just a question of adding enough fermentable content..9.3 of LME and specialty grain and you are in business. cake ;)

thanks mate, I'll try just onto the cake.

Going to use something along the lines of 3.8# of a generic hopped extract can of syrup, 3.3# of DME and 2.2# of Dextrose. (this is for a 6 gallon batch)

Currently have Crystal 120, Carapils and Chocolate in my grain stash, might try a small blend of Crystal and Carapils to give it a bit of flavour, and give the sterling hops a go that my LHBS gave me for free 'cos he wasn't able to sell them quick enough.

it's as much a trial to see what flavours (or lack of!) come out of it, my other brew planned for the weekend (Pete's Wicked Clone) should have a bit more character.

duly noted :)

This is basically just a tube running from where my airlock would normally be down into a jar of sanitiser next to the fermenter right?

alamout said:

This is basically just a tube running from where my airlock would normally be down into a jar of sanitiser next to the fermenter right?

Yeap. I believe a 1" tube will go right in the carboy tightly. If you have carboy caps, you can do what I do, which is to stick a 1/2" ID tube on the part where you would put the bubbler, that way when the spewage danger is over, you can just pull it out and insert the bubbler...

The yeast cell count in that yeast cake is much greater than even a couple of packets of dry yeast. If your yeast cake is fresh there should be no reason for ever adding addition yeast.
Brewing a small beer to produce a yeast cake for brewing a larger beer is an excellent technique for ensuring plenty of yeast population. However a blow off is very likely unless you have plenty of head room. More than the standard 6.5gal bucket or carboy provides.
Craig

alamout said:

Yep. Like this.

Get ready. It's gonna take off.

Belgian_Blonde_2.JPG

Back